irish horses in the hcps

sunybay

At the Start
It looks like the handicaper has decided all hcps hurdles will be won by irish horses.

I think there is a difference between 11 and 12 pounds between the irish and british ORs and seeing the weights , irish horse will dominate heavily the hcps hurdles.

Which Irish horses are due to run in the Fred Winter? The Nicholls horse is worth taking a price about now, as I imagine he'll start around the 4/1 mark.

Was planning on backing Son Amix - looking at the Surfing form he doesn't appear too well in when compared to the Nicholls horse who won at Taunton the other day (Sanctuaire).

Sanctuaire was 11.5 lengths behind Surfing off level weights (16th September). Son Amix was beaten 6 lengths receiving a kilogram on 12th November. Son Amix has to concede 6lbs in the Fred Winter though it's hard to tell how much improvement each trainer (Nicholls vs. Cooper) has got out of the horses.

Cooper had a horse with a very similar profile go off much shorter a couple of years ago who simply didn't handle the track (River Liane).

Surfing will be joining Henderson at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Word through the grapevine at home suggests Meath All Star has been lined up for the Martin Pipe all year ~ however much a horse can be aimed at that, anyway!

What do we think of Smoking Aces's mark for the Coral Cup? Strikes me as a horse that could have an awful lot of improvement given the combination of a step up in trip and a strongly run race.

Was planning on backing Son Amix - looking at the Surfing form he doesn't appear too well in when compared to the Nicholls horse who won at Taunton the other day (Sanctuaire).

Sanctuaire was 11.5 lengths behind Surfing off level weights (16th September). Son Amix was beaten 6 lengths receiving a kilogram on 12th November. Son Amix has to concede 6lbs in the Fred Winter though it's hard to tell how much improvement each trainer (Nicholls vs. Cooper) has got out of the horses.

Cooper had a horse with a very similar profile go off much shorter a couple of years ago who simply didn't handle the track (River Liane).

Surfing will be joining Henderson at some point in the future.

Did River Liane not go wrong about 3 out that year??I was on myself!! Went from travelling lovely to beaten in two strides.

I think he burst blood vessels/hated the track Del - think he's run badly at Cheltenham since but they have similar profiles and one is 5 times the price of the other.

What do we think of Smoking Aces's mark for the Coral Cup? Strikes me as a horse that could have an awful lot of improvement given the combination of a step up in trip and a strongly run race.

Agreed, track and trip sure to suit, whilst he's got a cracking attitude as well. I've got slight doubts about his jumping for a race like the Coral Cup, though. He wasn't particularly slick at a few when winning at Punchestown. Mourad is the one of the Irish contingent that catches my eye as he's also unexposed at the track, should be well suited by drying ground and has good course form (albeit the new course), courtesy of his Triumph Hurdle third.

It looks like the handicaper has decided all hcps hurdles will be won by irish horses.

I think there is a difference between 11 and 12 pounds between the irish and british ORs and seeing the weights , irish horse will dominate heavily the hcps hurdles.

Where are all these Irish handicap winners?!?

Back