GB DANDINO(GB)C3J. Given
IRE JOSHUA TREE(IRE)C3A. O'Brien
FR CIRRUS DES AIGLES(FR)G4C. Barande-Barbe
FR MARINOUS(FR)C4F. Head
FR MORES WELLS(GB)H6R. Gibson
FR TIMOS(GER)H5T. Doumen
ITY VOILA ICI(IRE)H5V. Caruso
CAN FIFTY PROOF(CAN)G4I. Black

Five contenders arrive safely from overseas for Japan Cup (G1)

Cirrus Des Aigles

Dandino

Joshua Tree

Marinous

Mores Wells

Five more of the total nine foreign-based runners for this year's Japan Cup arrived safely in Japan on Thursday, Nov. 17. Arriving early Thursday at Narita International Airport east of Tokyo were three horses from France -- Cirrus Des Aigles, Marinous and Mores Wells. Joining them later in the day were Britain's Dandino and Ireland's Joshua Tree. All five were transported to the JRA Horse Racing School Quarantine Center in Shiroi, Chiba Prefecture.
The three French-trained horses arrived at Narita shortly before 7:30 a.m. and were at Shiroi by 11 a.m. It was a relatively short journey of only 17 hours total. Zoe Gargouland, groom for the 4-year-old gelding Cirrus Des Aigles, said, "he was very relaxed after the journey and he's on the up and up." Gargouland said work plans had yet to be decided. Cirrus Des Aigles is trained by Corine Barande-Barbe. He is winner of this year's Prix Dollar (G2). Marinous, a 4-year-old colt, was also said to be in good shape. "It was a good trip," said assistant trainer Regis Barbedette. "We'll gradually increase his work load from the second day." Marinous, winner of this year's Grand Prix de Deauville (G2) is trained by Frederic Head. Mores Wells, a British-bred 6-year-old, had a smooth journey, according to groom Aymeric Candas. "We plan to slow things slowly and up the pace from Sunday," Candas said. Mores Wells, who is trained by Richard Gibson captured the Stockholm Cup International (G3) in Sweden this year and was runnerup in the Canadian International (G1).
Arriving shortly after 12:30 in the afternoon were Dandino and Joshua Tree. They both reached the quarantine facilities just before 4 p.m. Dandino, a 3-year-old colt was attended to by groom Lynn Ward. "There was no change in his condition from the start," Ward said. "We plan to only handwalk him (Thursday) and gradually up the pace as we watch how he does." Dandino was second in the Gordon Stakes (G3) in England this year. He has four wins in eight outings and is trained by James Given. The Aidan O'Brian-trained Joshua Tree, another 3-year-old, captured the Canadian International Stakes (G1) this year and is now 3 for 6. Joshua Tree qualifies for a winning bonus of 100 million yen in the Japan Cup, 40 million yen for finishing second, 25 million yen for third. Assistant trainer Thomas Comerford said, "It was a long journey, but he hasn't shown any change." Comerford said the colt would be galloped from Thursday as he awaited further instructions from O'Brien

Absolutely cannot wait for this, should be an amazing atmosphere for it. Not sure how Victoire Pisa is 20s for the race either, got a woeful ride in the Arc and finished well. He'll be my EW bet at this stage.

I would doubt he would stay with O'Brien if the horse was sold outright.

It would create a huge conflict with the other Coolmore owned horses.

O'Donoghue gets the ride in Japan ?

Training Report of Foreign Entrees
Japan Cup (G1)

http://japanracing.jp/_news2010/101123-02.html
November 23, 2010 (Tuesday)
The following horses entered in the 30th Japan Cup were transported to the Tokyo Racecourse consecutively, leaving the Shiroi Quarantine Facility between 10:10-10:55 AM, and arriving at the international stables between 11:46 -12:22 PM.
Comments taken from the connections upon arrival are as follows:
<At Tokyo Racecourse>
DANDINO (GB, C3, dark bay or brown)
“The horse is settled and since he’s used to traveling, there doesn’t seem to be any problems. He’s drinking and eating well. We did some strong work two weeks ago at home, so he doesn’t need to be galloped here. We just want to keep him level and calm. The trainer will decide more about the training plans once he arrives in Japan, but for tomorrow, the horse will canter on the dirt course. Our jockey will be riding him on Thursday.”
(comments taken from Oliver Williams)
JOSHUA TREE (IRE, C3, bay)
“He’s very fresh and is in good order. Tomorrow, he’ll have a spin on the grass. Colm (the jockey) will be arriving today and will be on board of the horse tomorrow morning. I’m not sure about what he’ll specifically do—it’ll depend on what Aidan (the trainer) decides. If Aidan doesn’t change his mind, Colm will probably only ride tomorrow.”
(comments taken from Thomas Comerford)
CIRRUS DES AIGLES (FR, G4, bay)
“The journey here went well and he’s in very good condition. I cannot say what his training menu will be since I haven’t seen the track condition yet. Once I go see how it is, I will decide when he will gallop.”
(comments taken from Jean Jacques Poincelet)
MARINOUS (FR, C4, dark bay or brown)
“He handled the transportation very well. He’s always been a good traveler. He’s eating well and is in good condition. The trainer should arrive in Japan tomorrow evening. As always, his gallop will be on Saturday—the day before the race. We’ll do some strong work about 300 to 400 meters on the dirt course. Until then, we’ll work him lightly on the dirt.”
(comments taken from Regis Barbedette)
MORES WELLS (GB, H6, bay)
“He traveled over to Japan very well on the plane—no troubles. Although we don’t usually weigh him at home, I don’t think he has dropped much in weight at all. He is at 505 kg now. He has been keeping up with his weight ever since he had arrived at the quarantine center up until he left for Tokyo. His appetite is good and he’s happy. As long as he settles down well and eats up his food today, he will probably work a little faster on the grass tomorrow. I’ll be talking to the trainer later on today.”

Amazing atmosphere at Tokyo today, never seen anything like it. Couldn't quite see what Buena Vista got disqualified for to be honest, seemed very very harsh.

However, I'm very annoyed as Victoire Pisa came "third" beaten a short-head and would have been given the race.

Amazing atmosphere at Tokyo today, never seen anything like it. Couldn't quite see what Buena Vista got disqualified for to be honest, seemed very very harsh.

However, I'm very annoyed as Victoire Pisa came "third" beaten a short-head and would have been given the race.

Winner interfered slightly with owners' second string, but fairly minimal and clearly had no effect on result. Certainly not in the Rose Ravine/Crimson Embers league (for those with long memories).

Back