Jockeys out for a while

krizon

At the Start
I see that the brilliant young Campbell Gillies, not heeding the notion of waiting til the last hooves have thundered by, was stricken at Aintree today after being UR from LIE FORRIT, getting up, and running straight into another horse, which he promptly brought down. He's suffered a punctured lung, busted ribs, and a bruised kidney, and will hopefully learn "Stay down!" next time he hits the deck.

A race later, Denis O'Regan, determined to keep the Fazakerley busy, broke his collarbone, which means he's out for around three weeks.

Hope that Campbell recovers quickly - he's a bright star on the northern circuit and a smashing rider. Just not good at horsey dodgems.

Aye,was a bit nasty Campbells fall as he was actually unseated before the hurdle & tumbled over it,I think he then thought he was directly in line to be landed on and thought he'd get out of there but,as you say, was walloped by Risk Runner. A slip of a lad against a horse is an uneven fight;)
Also, RP reported that Denis had broke his wrist. Can anybody update on whether its his collarbone or wrist?

Another couple of riders with breaks are Pat Dobbs(arm) and Mark Quinlan broke his leg on Friday at Fakenham. Not forgetting Barry Keniry who broke his leg the week before too so plenty of riders in the wars:(

Best wishes to all named.

I was watching a race on ATR last week where a horse ran out & the jockey went off in a ambulance but I never heard what had happened to the jockey, I think it was Mulholland (Sp) but may very well be wrong

Thanks Arkwright, I think I was getting two races mixed up maybe, I looked at the results for Fakenham & saw a horse ridden by Mulholland had run out & thought it was him

The horse he rode is trained by Neil Mulholland,that's probably where the confusion has arisen.

aah that makes sense! I was sedated at the dentist late thursday afternoon & wasn't all that with it on Friday! LOL

I can't believe Campbell Gillies came out of it so lightly in that incident. It was horrific looking and why on earth he didn't stay put and curl in a ball until the horses had passed I have no idea; it's rule no.1 when coming off amongst horses!

Nothing that I can see confirmed in the RP online, but David Crosse was on the deck for ages at Plumpton today, following his fall from MORTAR (who was okay). He was eventually taken off in the ambulance with a suspected busted leg. The SIS cameraman said it wasn't his own fall which did for him, but being clattered by an oncoming horse, who cracked him one.

A jockey who'll be out of NH permanently is Robert Lucey-Butler - he's ditched jumps and defected to the Flat. (Stand by for admiration from his No.1 fan, Ms. S. Leader... )

Good thing too really - he wasn't much cop over obstacles anyway! Spectacular dismounts early doors were something to behold.....

Timmy Murphy - suspected broken right collarbone, following a crunch off DASTARDLY DICK at Exeter today. That could see the pairing with WELL CHIEF buggered.

ANDREW THORNTON will miss Cheltenham's Open meeting and could be out of Newbury's Hennessy Gold Cup festival incurring a shoulder injury that is set to sideline him for up to four weeks.

Back