John Ciechanowski Dies

rorydelargy

At the Start
JOHN CIECHANOWSKI, a former champion amateur jockey of Europe and a trainer in many countries, including Brazil, France, Iran, Dubai and Britain, died early on Wednesday at his home near Lambourn. He was 86 and had cancer in recent years.

Among his varied and colourful claims to fame, the popular Ciechanowski was Sheikh Mohammed's first European trainer in Dubai. He had also been employed as an assistant to Maurice Zilber, Tom Jones and Vincent O'Brien. He later trained for the Sheikh in Lambourn.

Advancing age failed to shake his determination to ride out most mornings, and in his 80's he was a regular with several lots at Barry Hills in the summer, and the same with Noel Chance in the winter. He also rode in charity races.

He said: “I've never counted age, and figures mean nothing to me.”

RIP Johnny Ciech.

John was a legend, one of the most genuine people you could ever hope to meet. He was full of stories about his time spent in the Far East, Africa, about when he trained both at home and abroad.

He would only ever ride out in his own saddle, which was ancient! He would use all his own tack and grooming kit and tack up himself, taking at least half an hour in the process! It was this former point which led to him stopping riding out for Tregoning I hear as Marcus put his foot down and wouldn't let him ride out in his own saddle, which was older than Croesus!

Johnny rode Teaatral, amongst others, on a regular basis and he was a particular favourite of his. A little known horse named Ragged Kingdom was another.

It is so sad that a man who was so active had to face such a battle, he had a hard time of it with the chemo.

RIP Johnny Ciech - you taught me plenty, and few will forget your many entertaining stories.

God how sad, I used to ride out with John at Mick Channon's and he was such a lovely man.

He rode in a charity race not too long ago and he used to love coming in and riding Master Robbie.

R.I.P.

Back