John Mulhern - RIP

Cantoris

At the Start
Trainer John Mulhern dies following long illness

By Racing Post staff 12:42PM 15 MAR 2010
TRAINER John Mulhern, one of the most colourful and well known faces on the Irish racing scene, died on Monday morning following a long illness.
13830.jpg
John Mulhern: high-profile winners
PICTURE: Caroline Norris
Mulhern was a highly successful businessman, and he ran the Findus operation in Ireland. He was the retired boss of Meadow Court Stud in Kildare.
He was also a renowned punter, and enjoyed high-profile success as a trainer, winning what was then the Stayers' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival in 1987 and 1988 with Galmoy, and training Flashing Steel to win the Irish Grand National in 1995.
He was married to Goffs chairman Eimear Mulhern, the daughter of the late Taoiseach Charles Haughey.

I remember him owning a good handicap chaser in the early 80s called Owen's Image that won the big handicap chase at the Leopardstown Christmas meeting. RIP

He had some nice flat horses too. Was quite fond of Approach The Bench with Mick Kinane on board. Mulhern and his assistant Stephen McCarthy were well able to train on both codes and pulled off some big gambles over the years. Also remember Maytpleasethecourt.

Osterhase was a fine old beast up the Curragh. Backed him in both his Rockingham wins. He humped over 10 stone both times.

Going back many years, I remember the likes of Hungary Hur and Wolf of Badenoch. As a teenager I think I was attracted to the names as much as anything else!

Back