Johnny Murtagh - Genius!

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
N

numbersix

This guy is mustard at the moment! The ride he gave Sail just now, plus Henry in the Guineas has shown he can more than cope with the pressure of the big job. I must confess I had reservations, but no longer. Given he is not a regular at Chester, he rode it like an old hand and delivered his challenge with perfect timing once again.

The most confident rider of the moment on the flat, and good Ballydoyle is firing now again!

I think Johnny is so confident pressure doesn't come into it, it's 13 years since he rode Ridgewood Pearl to win the Breeders Cup mile at Belmont. Some good judges realised than he was the real deal. As long as he's kept busy he'll be alright.

I can't believe it has taken so long for him to get such a top job!

Ballydoyle could do a Classic clean sweep at this stage. Sail could be another Peeping Fawn - she took a while to find top stride, missing the traget in a few maidens before coming really good.

The vibes suggest there is better again in the yard, and perhaps more than one. But in fairness to her she looks capable of far better than she has shown.

I'm guessing that the vibes in the yard wouldnt have picked Peeping Fawn as the best Ballydoyle filly at this time last year. The way Sail was supported on her debut this year (even with known improvement to come) suggests that she is well enough thought of. I think Sail could be very good. Still looked green, and mowed down the second well. (form might not amount to a whole pile but the manner was impressive).

I think Murtagh had one or two top jobs before.

Originally posted by Garney@May 7 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing that the vibes in the yard wouldnt have picked Peeping Fawn as the best Ballydoyle filly at this time last year.
Fair point.

Indeed, Murtagh has had quite a few top jobs before, suppose nothing quite as high profile as now. Didnt think the ride on Sail was that great, best horse in the race I thought, the 2nd arguably had the run of the race and got 1st run. Murtagh has always been good, but Im equally sure a few other jockeys can do as well as Murtagh will do or has done for instance McDonagh, Moore etc...

I would think the opposite of numbersix. He may not be the greatest jockey to have on your side if you are looking to land the placepot on a Thursday night, but in top class races, he is less likely than most to get beaten when on the best horse. It has happened the best of them, but I like having Murtagh on my side in Group 1s.

I dont think Murtagh did anything special today at Chester, he was on the best fillie and won.

What was really good is the ride of the Guineas when he was the key to beat NA.

about his other jobs, I think he had many rides for Ballydoyle before and he was jocey for Oxx, what is a really good job, riding the horses of the Aga Khan in Ireland. He also had many rides with Stoute in the past and has always been a very good jockey.

about todays fillie
she looked a good preospect but on form she is not better than a 100P horse in my figures, needs to improve a lot to win a gr1.

Interestingly the Kieren Fallon website emailed subscribers today recommending Sail on gallops reports! They must have quite few people paid up to report to them

Murtagh was first jockey to James Fanshawe for a couple of seasons too, but he let him go
JM hasn't always had his head together, but he's improved immensely in that respect in the last couple of years, ie since he returned to Ireland. It might just be the effect of settled domesticity - ie 'happiness' :)

Back