Joseph O'Brien Over Jumps

granger

Senior Jockey
Running a 29% strike rate for the season.

Can anyone shed more light on the operation?

How much time can he actually dedicate to them? Are they being trained in Piltown or tipp?

i know Robbie Powers father was assisting with training a few for him.

I though he had only JP horses but he has a few private owners too

Last edited:
Very unlucky with a novice chaser today at Navan. Edwulf. Was about to win in the style of a Graded chaser.

Didn't think he was going to get up.nlooked bad but saw him on his feet at the end.

he travelled very strongly

Is a good beginners at Leop in a few weeks that the ill fated Liz Doyle horse won last year

How big do people think Joseph can get?

Looks like JP will supply him with a few promising bullets.

I would think it is one thing training a few ex flat types to win a few hurdle races, it will be another thing to have horses in contention in the handicap chases and graded scene of that spectrum

How big do people think Joseph can get?

Looks like JP will supply him with a few promising bullets.

I would think it is one thing training a few ex flat types to win a few hurdle races, it will be another thing to have horses in contention in the handicap chases and graded scene of that spectrum

Very big.

His career path will be interesting -I'd say he will cut his teeth with jumpers and handicaps on the flat-might be worth avoiding any skinny ones he has in flat maidens.

I'll be interested to see his patronage outside of JP.

Coolmore have Walk in The Park now as a sire, so some of his offspring will find their way to Piltown.

I'll be interested to see his patronage outside of JP.

Coolmore have Walk in The Park now as a sire, so some of his offspring will find their way to Piltown.

I'll be interested to see how Fame & Glory's offspring fare in a year or 2
He Could turn out some nice jumping stock.

Maybe there's a parallel with John Ferguson - that he's fed mostly cast-offs from powerful flat stables and can't find a chaser amongst them?

Last edited:
Personally I'd love to see JOB do a DK Weld and hold back Group 1 horses for obscure maiden's at big Summer Festival meetings :D

I interviewed the owner of a very well bred ex-Fabre/O'Brien horse after it struggled home in a Maiden P2P last month, he's a half-brother to a notable addition to the NH stallion ranks that Coolmore had - speaking to them and hearing about their fellas breathing problems I wouldn't want to touch the offspring of this sire with a 35 foot stick so will be interesting to see if JOB gets any of these for bumpers.

Martin

Remember the days when we used to say things like they should enter that thing of AOB's in next years Triumph Hurdle?

Is this going to be another John Ferguson type operation or a real attempt at building a proper NH racing stable challenging WPM for the title

The vision and the reality could be two different things Tanlic

Am sure he has aspirations of being a future champion trainer

To make a real go of it he will need to get some chasers into the mix

Even Gigi realised that they had to try get a few flat pedigrees and hurdling types into their colours.

I think he will be a great trainer

and likely to do very well with hurdlers from the beginning.

He's made a tremendous start including beating his old man a couple of times. Seems to know his onions but I'm sure he's got a good team behind him.

a 65k Son of Milan is some purchase for a lad just out of nappies. That said there's more than a few born with a silver spoon in their mouths who don't last 5 minutes no matter how much help they get.

Failure in the racing games only ends up one way..departures right left and centre.

As far as Joseph goes I reckon he'll set the world on fire. He could have sat back and had an easy life instead of fasting like crazy running hundreds of miles and god only knows how meany sweatbox visits.

There's a lot more success than having the name O'Brien. anyone with that much determination, intelligence,obvious skill and the right people behind him he'll be a force to reckon with for along time to come.

Back