JP on way home from US after cancer treatment

Cantoris

At the Start
Published Date: 23 April 2009

By Eugene Phelan

JP MCMANUS will fly home from the United States this Friday after spending a number of weeks in hospital, after he was diagnosed with prostrate cancer.
Shock news regarding the 58-year-old's condition filtered through to Limerick this week after he was diagnosed some weeks ago, and went into hospital for treatment.

"He is making a good recovery and is due back in Ireland this Friday and is looking forward to coming home and taking it easy for a while," a family friend told the Limerick Leader.

Mr McManus's absence from the racing scene was first noticed when the Limerick man failed to appear at the Easter Monday Grand National in Fairyhouse on April 13 where his horse Wichita Lineman who lit up Cheltenham, was amongst the favourites.

JP who is a very keen golfer and very health conscious is expected to meet up with all his family this weekend along with his wife Noreen, who has been helping him through what has been a traumatic time for one of the most well known figures in business and sporting circles in Ireland and Britain.

One of the most popular figures in Limerick, JP who has made millions from gambling and in later years from numerous business operations including currency trading, is still heavily involved in organizing next years JP McManus Invitational Pro Am in Adare Manor.

"He is as enthusiastic as ever, and it is all still systems go. This is just a small set back and JP is rearing to go," was how one of those involved in the organisation of the event, which will see Tiger Woods, Padraig Harrington and a host of other top golfers come to Limerick next year.

News of JP's health problems come a week after former Fianna Fail Defence Minister Michael J. Noonan revealed in the Limerick Leader his battle with prostrate cancer and highlighting the need for men to make annual checks with their doctors. Prostate cancer is the second most common killer of men over 50 after heart disease.

"I want to stress the importance of regular visits to the GP and the taking of blood tests.

These test show up anything that might be going wrong," stressed Mr Noonan.

Only last month Mr McManus enjoyed great celebrations in Cheltenham. In the winners' enclosure at the famed stadium many family and friends sang 'happy birthday' to the successful owner after his first winner and McManus's celebrations were completed when his colours filled the first three places – believed to be a Festival first – in the Glenfarclas Cross-Country.

Despite his international success, Mr McManus has always remained loyal to his roots and has donated millions of euro to charities, sporting organisations and educational institutes throughout Limerick and the Mid West.

He is the official sponsor of Limerick GAA and his generosity sees eight students from his old school - the CBS on Sexton Street - receive third level scholarships on an annual basis as part of the JP McManus Scholarship Awards.

The 2005 JP McManus Pro Am event attracted a top class field of worldwide players. Official figures recorded an attendance of over 49,000 spectators.

Well I hope it was caught early and he can get through it. Scary stuff.

Without getting too morbid, does anyone know whether he has family who would continue with his racing interests when he's no longer about (many years from now, hopefully!)?

For all the money in the world....cannot guarantee you good health (though it comes in handy I am sure!!!)...wish him all the best.

Poor JP, hope all goes well for him.

He didn't have to go all the way to the States though. Cheltenham has a leading Oncology Centre which was the first to introduce brachotherapy, a procedure in which the tumour is surrounded by minuscule radioactive seedlets. He could have had his racing and his op within the week!

On a more serious note though, get well soon JP and long may we see your green and gold colours gracing our racecourses.

billionaires like JP dont hang around here for treatment, they go to thebest in the states. after wichita lineman won at cheltenham, im sure i saw him with his son in the winners enclosure on the tv. so id imagine he would take over his racing interest whent he time comes, many years from now hopefully!

Without getting too morbid, does anyone know whether he has family who would continue with his racing interests when he's no longer about (many years from now, hopefully!)?

Pretty sure I recall hearing JP's son had his first winner (as an owner) sometime during the winter. Was trained by Edward O'Grady I believe. Not sure how many horses he has in training.

Back