Keeping horses inside: pros & cons?

mrussell

At the Start
From what I understand, race horses can commonly be kept for 23 hours a day in their boxes (is that the correct term? - the 'room' they have in the stable.)

As they're naturally athletic, herd animals, this seems to go against the grain.
Does it apply more to flat or NH types?
Why is it done?
Are they better off outside?
Could they be left out, with walking access to a 3-walled shelter ... etc.

Last edited:
That's me then.... :cool: :lol::p

Most yards turn out their h-i-t these days although some still stick to the old regime of exercise/canter/gallops work and then the horse is in the rest of the time - it all depends on how much turnout they have available and the weather conditions (excessive wet weather means paddocks can't take the wear and tear).

There are some trainers who train their horses out of the field, ie horses are kept outside, well rugged and fed up - maybe because the horse simply doesn't thrive when in a box 24/7. Good trainers tend to train round the horse's individual needs and don't treat them all the same.

In general, though, most horses like the stable, exercise, stable routine - some hate being chucked out even for a couple of hours in a paddock, though, so you simply can't make generalisations.

From my experience in Colm's I'd certainly agree with that summary. Each horse is different and they like different things. In general, Colm puts most of the horses out for at least two hours a day but he is restricted in terms of space (he has four fields) and never puts more than four in together. Some always go out together e.g. Brave Inca and Allez Petit Luis in a field of their own. He also tends to rotate them around different parts of the yard as some are more isolated, while others have the hustle and bustle, and some have a view of the river. so it gives them something different. The exception to this is Big Zeb, who hasn't changed box in two years as he can be a bit funny about changes of scenery.

A friend of mine called sue has an ex racehorse who she took on when he was 8yrs old, he is 22yrs old now & from the day she got him he is let out first thing in the morning into a 25 acre field in which he walks around the perimeter of the field before planting himself back at the gate & makes as much noise as possible until she comes & brings him back to his stable :rolleyes:

He has no interest in being out in the field at all, regardless of company & the weather :confused:

I would say that NH stables tend to turn out far more than Flat yards possibly because these horses tend to be older and therefore more sensible. Some Flat yards especially those with older sprinters do chuck theirs out after excercise - Dandy Nicholls does I think and John Berry's are ridden out caked in mud (thats not a criticism!). A few of the larger Flat trainers are a bit neurotic about horses getting injured while out but I think once they settle into a routine, most behave sensibly and sun on a horse does them the world of good. (That said I believe Entrepreneur got sunstroke after the Guineas leading up to the Derby!)

I think that also most NH yards have better facilities for turn out than say the Newmarket stables where space is at a premium although Godolphin have turn out pens in huge numbers in their variour yards.
If I had the turn out, I would most definitely stick them out, Flat or NH as with the vast majority, they really enjoy it. The pointers I ride out go out every day, rain, snow, hard frozen ground - all weathers and they get very very cross if they don't. I don't know whether you can credit Fully Loaded's 5 wins this season to it, but he relishes being out in his mud puddle with his mate all day.

They love it; they have their own human to muck them out, give them food and hay on tap - happy days, as far as a lot of them are concerned!

Back