Kempton Notes 13/10

stodge

At the Start
I attended Kempton Park's meeting this afternoon. For the most part, trappy, moderate fare watched by the usual small crowd not helped by the "competition" from Windsor.

I thought I would offer a few notes from what I saw...

The opening race was a Class 6 handicap over a mile. BRANDANE made almost all to win this by a nose under a strong ride from Paul Hanagan. FUN IN THE SUN was produced late, perhaps too late, by Jamie Spencer while COMRADE COTTON raced near the pace throughout. SUMMER RECLUSE looked to break down badly on the far side.

Race two was a Class 5 Claimer for juveniles over a mile. These were a poor lot but HUM CAT looked the winner from sone way out. He did PROTIVA few favours as he hunbg right under a left-handed drive but he was always going to win. IN TRANSIT ran ok but the well-backed REEL ALE was disappointing.

Race three was a Class 5 handicap over seven furlongs. WITHOUT PREJUDICE did this well and took well to the surface, rebuilding a reputation tarnished somewhat by a ppor run at Newmarket three weeks ago. LAKE WINDERMERE was travelling well off the home turn but was readily outpaced by the winner in the final furlong and could maybe do with a bit further.

Race four was the first division of a Class 4 juvenile maiden over six furlongs. The odds-on favourite DAMANIYAT GIRL did this well enough though FEN SPIRIT made a good race of it. One I would note for future reference is KYLEENE, who I spotted making late progress into fifth.

Race five was the second division of the aforementioned maiden. IT'S A GAME bounced back from two poor efforts to win this admittedly moderate maiden. MINUTE LIMIT was second and showed some improvement on her debut as did BEAUTIFUL FILLY in third but this looked much the inferior division of the maiden.

Race six was the afternoon's feature, a Class 3 handicap over a mile and a half. This looked an interesting heat but it was won by BOZ, who has done well on the Polytrack in the past. THE CARLTON CANNES is a lightly-raced type but put up a good effort here and only just failed. BEE STING set the early pace and was still well here until just fading in the final hundred yards. There were a couple of disappointing efforts - PACIFISM might have needed the run after nearly six months off the track but there seemed no excuse for KING'S EVENT.

Race seven was a Class 4 handicap over six furlongs. PETER ISLAND was supported into favouritism and soon led. Two furlongs out, Jamie was looking round but, not for the first time, PETER ISLAND folded under pressure and DVINSKY, who had been unable to go with the leader early, rallied to lead and hold on close home. DVINSKY is a superbly consistent type in this grade and was scoring his seventh polytrack success.

Small crowd?? I know you're talking in Kempton terms, but it really is embarassing how many people turn out at the track.

I thought Minute Limit and especially the horribly named Beautiful Filly both have the ability to step up considerably on that performance. Neither broke particularly well and ended up having to go the long way round. BF decided to make her ground at the most inopportune moment and ran out of gas while ML sat and suffered on the bend and made her challange too late.

Granted they'd struggle to find a weaker maiden to take advantage of a step up in performance but a small nursery may be within their scope.

I attended Kempton Park's meeting this afternoon. For the most part, trappy, moderate fare watched by the usual small crowd not helped by the "competition" from Windsor.

I thought I would offer a few notes from what I saw...

The opening race was a Class 6 handicap over a mile. BRANDANE made almost all to win this by a nose under a strong ride from Paul Hanagan. FUN IN THE SUN was produced late, perhaps too late, by Jamie Spencer while COMRADE COTTON raced near the pace throughout. SUMMER RECLUSE looked to break down badly on the far side.

Race three was a Class 5 handicap over seven furlongs. WITHOUT PREJUDICE did this well and took well to the surface, rebuilding a reputation tarnished somewhat by a ppor run at Newmarket three weeks ago. LAKE WINDERMERE was travelling well off the home turn but was readily outpaced by the winner in the final furlong and could maybe do with a bit further.

Race six was the afternoon's feature, a Class 3 handicap over a mile and a half. This looked an interesting heat but it was won by BOZ, who has done well on the Polytrack in the past. THE CARLTON CANNES is a lightly-raced type but put up a good effort here and only just failed. BEE STING set the early pace and was still well here until just fading in the final hundred yards. There were a couple of disappointing efforts - PACIFISM might have needed the run after nearly six months off the track but there seemed no excuse for KING'S EVENT.

As you though, I'm not Spencer's biggest fan but I think he gave Fun In The Sun a decent ride, the horse is clearly something of a pig and he worked bloody hard to get a run out of him as the horse didn't seem interested 2f out. I don't know what else he could have done really as he was already working away at him when they turned for home.

Surprised you didn't mention the absolute shocker he gave Autumn Blades in the 3rd race though, tried to go up the rail and failed miserably, the horse was full of running and I'd definitely look out for it next time out.

Also, if a horse was produced too late by anyone at Kempton on Monday then Darryll Holland wins that award for his ride on The Carlton Cannes, very poorly timed in my opinion. The race was ran in a lightning quick time though and I wouldn't oppose the front pair next time out.

Surprised you didn't mention the absolute shocker he gave Autumn Blades in the 3rd race though, tried to go up the rail and failed miserably, the horse was full of running and I'd definitely look out for it next time out.

Doesn't Autumn Blades need to be ridden like that though and it's just a question of whether you get the luck or not. I remember a thread about Richard Quinn and this horse when he won his maiden at Folkestone.

Doesn't Autumn Blades need to be ridden like that though and it's just a question of whether you get the luck or not. I remember a thread about Richard Quinn and this horse when he won his maiden at Folkestone.

Don't remember that thread, fair enough if he needs to come from off the pace and he likes to pass horses but trying to do it up the rail at Kempton is asking for trouble. He'd have been better pulling him wide and making a run down there like he did on Fun In The Sun.

Autumn Blades runs tonight in the 6.50 Wolverhampton with Jamie on. I was considering backing him but 6/1 is too short given his running style and it's hard to come from a long way back at Wolves.

Back