Kentucky Derby ..Saturday May 7

Powerscourt

At the Start
Master of Hounds draws the 11 post for Saturday with Garet Gomez riding. He must have an each way chance though I doubt if he is good enough to win it even if he takes to the dirt. The dam Silk and Scarlet by Sadlers Wells surely a doubt on the dirt although it would be some tribute to the sire if he could pull it off. Aidan O'Brien reportedly making the trip over this year. His first at the Kentucky Derby I believe.

Wide open race as usual. Uncle Mo continues to recover from his illness and his participation not certain until morning of the race. I like Nehro who will be running late. Chance of thunderstorms in the forecast at 50% so chances of a sloppy track come into the equation.

KentuckyDerby post-position draw
1. Archarcharch (Jon Court) 10-1
2. Brilliant Speed (Joel Rosario) 30-1
3. Twice The Appeal (Calvin Borel) 20-1
4. Stay Thirsty (Ramon Dominguez) 20-1
5. Decisive Moment (Kerwin Clark) 30-1
6. Comma To The Top (Patrick.Valenzuela) 30-1
7. Pants On Fire (Rosie Napravnik) 20-1
8. Dialed In (Julien Leparoux) 4-1
9. Derby Kitten (Javier Castellano) 30-1
10. Twinspired (Mike Smith) 30-1
11. Master Of Hounds (Garrett Gomez) 30-1
12. Santiva (Shaun Bridgmohan) 30-1
13. Mucho Macho Man (Rajiv Maragh) 12-1
14. Shackleford (Jesus Castanon) 12-1
15. Midnight Interlude (Victor Espinoza) 10-1
16. Animal Kingdom (Robby Albarado) 30-1
17. Soldat (Alan Garcia) 12-1
18. UncleMo (John Velazquez) 9-2
19. Nehro (Corey Nakatani) 6-1
20. Watch Me Go (Rafael Bejarano) 50-1

I really fancied Tobys Corner for this before he picked up an injury.I've watched most of the trials and haven't a clue who wins this.

He ran another horse with Johannesburg that year.

Maybe Powerscourt means O'Brien's first trip? Quite likely, given that the race is usually on Guineas weekend.

Yes he ran Castle Gandolfo in that race too.

I meant AOB actually at the meeting. True it is usually run the same day as the Guineas but it is good to see him over following up his first trip to Dubai.

Thats three years in a row now where the favorite or co favorite was scratched prior to the race ..I Want Revenge in 2009. Eskkendereya last year and now Uncle Mo. This year there are about 5-6 leading three year olds not in the race because of injuries. Seems like we go thru this every year.

I am in the US this week, and there has been a lot of stuff written in the papers about Soldat and Nehro having a chance.

I watched a preview show last night, and I think I will back Shackleford. He boxed on very well from scorching early fractions in the Florida Derby, and shouldn't be that much longer odds than Dialed In.

Last edited:
I like Midnight Interlude, but that's only from glancing through the form. Have not seen any previews and know very little about American racing, so obviously won't be having a bet.

I haven't had a proper look at the Derby yet but tonight I'm backing Race 6 - Blind Luck to win - won last years oaks & in this years Oaks - Summer Soiree e/way.

I haven't had a proper look at the Derby yet but tonight I'm backing Race 6 - Blind Luck to win - won last years oaks & in this years Oaks - Summer Soiree e/way.

7 Blind Luck 4.80 2.60 2.20

8 Unrivaled Belle 3.20 2.60

4 All Due Respect

Good start - I heard she put in a Zenyatta style performance

A couple of small e/way outsiders for me - Sanvita & Brilliant Speed but will be happy to see M.O.H. win for A.P.O'Brien as I have him in one of my t.t.t.f. lines.

I've had peanuts on Nehro. Not had a thorough look at the form but a strongly run mile and a quarter should bring about improvement.

There really is something about this race. Whatever else it's the toughest race in the world to win by a long way in my book.

Definitely not a race to get too heavily involved in but all credit to the winner who has now won on 3 different surfaces - did it well and I love all the razzmatazz that comes with it - great fun.

Back