Kerrin McEvoy tipped for Darley job

Grand Armee

At the Start
From www.racenet.com.au

British scribes tip McEvoy for Darley job
Brad Waters
Monday, 21 July 2008
Speculation has mounted in major media outlets both in Australia and the UK surrounding the possible appointment of Kerrin McEvoy as the number one rider for Sheik Mohammed’s Darley operation.
The Racing Post reported over the weekend that McEvoy, the current No.2 rider behind the flamboyant Italian Frankie Dettori at the powerful Godolphin stable was at the head of the queue to secure the plum job in Sydney.
McEvoy told the Racing Post that preliminary talks had taken place with John Ferguson, Darley’s bloodstock manager and Simon Crisford, racing manager for Godolphin.

“I've spoken to John Ferguson and to Simon Crisford

He will indeed be a lost. I wouldnt say he is super but he is very good, dosnet make too many mistakes.

Is it true though?

It seems a slight surprise to me that if it's being reported by the RP over the weekend, in the UK, that no news has broken here, even though it's Monday and the UK press supposedly reported it over the weekend just gone?

Knowing that he has a child due in the upcoming months (November I believe), one would have to assume that he and his wife (Cathy Payne) would want to come home to Australia sooner than later. Such an arrangement would work out well, McEvoy would still be involved with the Maktoums but heading the stable down under under the Darley banner as the stable rider. Not to mention he is closer to his family, who are based in SA, and his wife who's family is one of the most prominent in Victoria. Her brother, Paddy (former champion rider here and in Macau), now is the Victorian based trainer for Patinack Farm. So there are a lot of opportunities across the board.

Though in saying that, Corey Brown and Dan Nikolic's efforts at present for the stable (which have been shared) wouldn't be going unnoticed by the Darley team. Would have to assume they have their names in the hat as well, and are just as deserving of the position.

........and has the following rides booked up :

KERRIN MCEVOY

pill_0_left.gif
Statistics
pill_0_right.gif
pill_0_left.gif
Current Form
pill_0_right.gif
pill_1_left.gif
Jockey Engagements
pill_1_right.gif

Engaged in the following races

22 Jul 2008 2:15 Global City at YARMOUTH(Overnight), European Breeders´ Fund Maiden Stakes 22 Jul 2008 2:45 Last Angel at YARMOUTH(Overnight), Lindley Catering Selling Stakes 22 Jul 2008 4:20 Tayyab at YARMOUTH(Overnight), Great Yarmouth Glass Maiden Stakes 23 Jul 2008 6:15 La Diosa at LEICESTER(Overnight), Midland HR Maiden Auction Stakes 23 Jul 2008 8:25 Desert Chill at LEICESTER(Overnight), E B F / C & G Construction Solutions Fillies´ Handicap 24 Jul 2008 6:20 Namu at DONCASTER(Four Day), Donny Mod Gods September 2008 Handicap 24 Jul 2008 6:50 Lovely Thought at DONCASTER(Four Day), mosspm.co.uk Maiden Auction Fillies´ Stakes 24 Jul 2008 7:55 Army Of Angels at DONCASTER(Four Day), crownhotel-bawtry.com Conditions Stakes 25 Jul 2008 3:20 Festivale at ASCOT(Four Day), Transformers And Rectifiers E B F Valiant Stakes (Listed Rac

McEvoy habitually spends the winter riding in Aus which is probably where Dante got the idea.

He is reported as feeling very torn by the proposal. There are obviously very good reasons for going back, but he is reported as saying that he loves his life and his job over here, and esp the variety of UK racing in summer with winters in Aus, and it would be a big wrench to go back for good - as it would no doubt be, just yet.

On the other hand Darley clearly want him over there - and as he put put it "They have always been very good to me". I'd be sorry to see him go - he's very good indeed on certain horses, esp 2 yr olds, and seems a thoroughly nice guy

It will be a big loss if KM is back to Australia, I think he is one of the best jockeys I have seen in the last 20 years.

Back