Khyber Kim

Guest_

At the Start
Bubble seriously burst there. I was impressed with his debut at Newbury but thought the short prices for the Supreme were way over the top. Interesting to see if something comes to light as he'd surely better than that.

Expect the word "bounce" to figure in any post mortem. The horse has a history of fragility though, and was never one you wanted a short price about.

They said on Channel 4 that he got seriously would up in the prelims and sweated copiously.
Either he was feeling something, or he is going to get even more wound up on the big day

Could be! But I'll be interested to hear what those who there today have to tell us later

How is the form good enough?

Theatre Girl was a 1/2L behind Chomba Whomba yesterday who was all out to win a few lengths the time before in a very average listed race and todays race was not much better.

The 3rd Helen's Vision was stuffed out of sight at Cheltenham and was struggling a mile out.

The 6th Ogee was well beat the other day in a very ordinary maiden hurdle.

I didn't figure the race well and after watching Khyber Kim which i was on the winner each way, 7/2 means 87.5% back of stake if it comes 2nd, and the "hotpot" can always fall or run a stinker.

Given that i laid Helens Vision for a place hevaily. Was never in doubt.

The Newbury form doesn't stand up one bit and prior to Newbury Khyber Kim couldn't get near Working Title and an unamed Rock Hopper gelding on the gallops. Now I know the former was recently a 25L winner but it was a plain race at Fontwell and for me people overeacted.

At Newbury Helen's Vision went too quick and set it up for those that sat off the pace to come through. 6 of the first 8 in the finish were dropped in, yet Theatre Girl who was ridden handily came 2nd, for me she looks the best horse in that race.

Whilst I don't think Helen's Vision stayed yesterday, I also dont think she is anywhere near as good as she was made to look at Newbury on Hennessy day when given a very easy time of it up front.

Laughable how we hear now that the short prices for the Supreme and the Champion Hurdle entry were OTT. Never heard such crowings before yesterdays race.

From the Racing Post website:

Khyber Kim: "Nothing has come to light," says trainer Nicky Henderson

by PA Sport staff

NICKY Henderson remained at a loss on Sunday over Khyber Kim's tame reverse in the Rossington Main Novices' Hurdle at Doncaster on Saturday.

Sent off the 2-5 favourite after a superb debut success over hurdles at Newbury, the six-year-old could finish only fourth to Tazbar.

Khyber Kim returned to Seven Barrows in good nick, but Henderson believes that performance was too bad to be true.

Significantly, the form from his Newbury win in December was franked, as Theatre Girl, no match for Khyber Kim that day, ran a fine race behind Henderson's Chomba Womba in a Grade 2 at Doncaster.

"Nothing has come to light at the moment and he's perfectly sound," said Henderson.

"Chomba Womba and he are very similar at home and what Chomba Womba and Theatre Girl did on Saturday showed that form was probably wrong.

"It's our job to find out what happened and to hopefully get him back to where he was."

I'd picked up that too Chris.

If Chomba Womba is 153 then Theatre Girl has done a fine job running her to less than a length in receipt of just 5Ibs, provided of course the winner has run to form. The third horse was some 17L's back, suggesting that the front two have indeed shown a level of form etc. I think she received 2Ibs from Khyber Kim at Newbury, and will get a 5Ibs pull in the Supreme. Fillies and mares have a decent record in the race. In the last 10 years, only 10 have lined up though, including 3 ill considrrewd 100/1+ shots. However, Like A Butterfly and French Ballerina won the race and Amaretto Rose placed. It's not a bad win and palce S/R, and I'd certainly be interested in both her and Megans Joy. You could argue that Thearte Girl has already run to a level good enough to win most renewals? 20/1 doesn't look too bad to my eyes.

Back