Lanzarote Hurdle

G

Gearoid

Only had a look at this when Dan Kelly mentioned on Twitter that a "Frenchie" had got in off 127. The horse in question is Sire Collonges trained by Paul Nicholls a 12/1 chance with Bet365 and VCbet. How they can come up with a figure of 127 is beyond me but surely he will be smahed into at 12/1 if he is any good?

Martin, do you know anything about the horse?

Last edited:
I can tell you Gearoid that the process for allocating Handicap marks to foreign horses is remarkably similar to the FA Cup Draw.

Will take a look over his form and that properly tomorrow as really slow internet at the min

Martin

The jist of his form is:

1 run 1 win for Guy Cherel (this coming in April 2010).

He won a 2m 1.5f 4yo Hurdle at Auteuil by 5 lengths beating...

2. Hillbilly - 9 runs since, 3 wins including 2 over fences and a listed placing over fences too. I know that Nicholls attempted to buy him in October prior to his first Chase win.

3. Robin De Teille - 2 runs both in claiming hurdles at Nantes and Meslay-Du-Maine (French provinces) in which he was pulled up, had shown nothing in 2 previous starts.

4. Mansonien L'as - 3 runs in France subsequently all at Auteuil and the last two in claimers. Unplaced in all 3. Sold to the UK and joined Ferdy Murphy for 3 unplaced starts.

5. Royal Palm - 3 runs subsequently including a placing at Fontainebleau over fences. Also PU at Auteuil.

There were a few other runners though it's difficult to get an exact angle on how highly rated Sire Collonges should be but I think he was given a positive review in the Stable Tour earlier in the year and 12/1 might look massive come Saturday evening.

Great post Martin. Thanks. I'm shocked they have not ducked this one. 7/1 would have been my guess to test the market.

even funnier was Nicholls' reply : ???

As if.

He does not reply to some questions including the following from a BBC5 live interview with Rachel Burden - The subject was Kauto Star and the Khng George, which as we all know, was postponed twice due to frost and snow at Kempton. However, Rachel, sensing a massive injustice had been done to race fans up and down the country, tried to apportion blame for the failure to race. After a few minutes of preamble, she asked t

Last edited:
the killer question - "Were you disappointed that Kempton couldn't get the race on considering it's meant to be an All-Weather track."

From "One Jump Ahead"...

He won his only race over hurdles at Auteuil and is huge. A real chaser in the making, he will spend this season over hurdles though because I don't want to send him over fences yet. This will be very much a filling in year for him becauseI want to look after him. He will make a super chaser one day.

Bromley's best buys...A tall athletic sort, he won his only career start over hurdles at Auteuil on the 21st April in very easy fashion. This does mean, however, he is only a novice hurdler until the end of October and it's likely, given that he is still rather weak and immature, he will stay hurdling this season before going chasing the following winter

Paul Nicholls is hanging fire on whether to declare either Organisateur or Sire Collonges for the williamhill.com Lanzarote Handicap Hurdle at Kempton on Saturday.
Organisateur is burdened with top weight of 11st 12lb and may be switched to Cheltenham later in the month, while once-raced French import Sire Collonges is not guaranteed a run and faces a crucial workout on Thursday.
"Organisateur has got a very stiff mark for what he's been doing, he's only been winning round Taunton," said the Ditcheat trainer.
"I don't know, but I think he's got a lot on his plate. I'm going to discuss it with the owners, but we might look at the Cleeve Hurdle or something like that because it's a tough mark to win off."
Sire Collonges is currently 1lb out of the handicap and Nicholls believes the five-year-old has a future over fences.
"He's had one run at Auteuil in the spring. It wasn't much of a race but he made all and won," Nicholls told At The Races.
"He don't really know what he is and he was bought to go chasing. He'll be a lovely chaser next season and you'll hear a lot more of him then.
"He's got a mark of 127 which is workable off. He's in on Saturday and I'm going to work him tomorrow morning and just see whether he's ready to run.
"He's certainly a horse for the future, but more likely when he jumps fences in the autumn."

I like the look of Alfie Spinner for this race, he ran a decent race behind Salden Licht, albeit the winner won comfortably. However it was his 1st run of the season and the step up in trip should suit. It would be some performance for Organisateur to win off 154, I can't see that happening in all honesty.

After the Hennessy the RP Weekender did a piece on Daryl Jacob and they asked him for one horse to follow. You'd expect him to say Diamond Harry or Reve De Sivola or even one of the unexposed sorts at the yard but he selected James De Vassy. I'm not one to back a horse on a jockey's recommendation but I thought this selection was eye catching. He's also an animal that goes really well on soft ground.

If he runs as well on Saturday as he did on those two occasions at Cheltenham the relative weakness of this field could see him go close. He was very disappointing at Haydock last time but carried a big weight there, was probably ridden too close to the pace and got tired on what was his first run of the season. He carries 11-2 on a tight track here and I'd be surprised if he's out of the frame.

Last edited:
If he runs as well on Saturday as he did on those two occasions at Cheltenham the relative weakness of this field could see him go close. He was very disappointing at Haydock last time but carried a big weight there, was probably ridden too close to the pace and got tired on what was his first run of the season. He carries 11-2 on a tight track here and I'd be surprised if he's out of the frame.

He looks like the plunge horse this evening - Stan James are swerving him bigtime down to 8/1 - still 11/1 with Ladbrokes - if you forgive him his last run and you possibly could as per your case for the defence above Euro, he may still be one to side with.

It looks a tougher race than I first thought but he's a big horse carrying just over 11st round a tight track - he really should be somewhere in the mix.

Carrying a big(ish) weight is easier round a tight track. It's not that much of a factor tomorrow as JDV is a big chasing type but every little helps.

Thanks Euro. Major no bet race for me. My initial opinion was I really like the horse but he is not well handicapped. But you have made a fair case and the field is not up to scratch.

Couldn't resist looking at this and James Da Vassy looks like a fair choice. The other one I really like is First Point. They must have given the ghost up over fences now and he looks like one of the best handicapped horses (or least exposed) in there over hurdles.

Like Minded for me - particularly in light of his first time out record (2/2) and course and distance win in November 2009, it wasn't a particularly strong race but he gets into this off a flyweight when taking into account his good young jockey (Ryan Mahon)'s claim, he's been done at much bigger prices but the 17/2 still looks good and this doesn't look a particularly strong race to me.

I've ended-up plumping for Drill Sargeant.

Should I be worried that Maguire rides for Greatrex instead of McCain? Or can Maguire not do 10-0, and it's actually a nice pointer that he's been jocked-off in favour of Murphy, who can?

Back