Left Field Question

Aragorn

At the Start
Can someone remind of the name of the Irish NH horse who had an unpronouncable gaelic name which was something like Oldmuirchareteagh (Or something like that but it was pronounced "Old Murra hurtee" I think).

Named after legendary Irish sports commentator Micheal O'Muircheartaigh, who gave us such gems as:

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation".

and

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. It's over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery".

Last edited:
"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well".

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them. The priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! Forty yards out on the Hogan Stand side of the field Ciarán Whelan goes on a rampage, it's a goal. So much for religion".

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now... but here comes Joe Rabitte hot on his tail ... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park"

Aragorn,
At 3:41 in the below video clip, Micheal himself gives a guideline on the pronunciation of O'Muircheartaigh (the horse) to a U.K. interviewer at the racecourse. (Shortly after the part where he goes off on a tangent about cycling from Mullingar to Uzbekistan, and Marco Polo in 1277, during the course of a match commentary). :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFI9uBWG_k

Last edited:
During a Cork hurling match
"Sean Og O'Halpin with the ball on the halfway line. His mothers from Fiji. His fathers from Leitrim. Neither a hurling stronghold"

"... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, i'll tell ye a
little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was
missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I
said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman (Paper) would ye?' To
which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you
want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had
both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they
played with the ball."

"1-5 to 0-8.. well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in
any man's language."

"I see John O Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary,
sponsored by a water company. Cork sponsored by a tae company. I wonder
will they meet later for afternoon tae."

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50...... he's on
the 40.... he's on the 30.......... he's on the ground"

"Stephen Byrne with the puck out for Offaly....Stephen, one of 12....all
but one are here to-day, the one that's missing is Mary, she's at home
minding the house..... and the ball is dropping i lar na bpairce...."

"... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, i'll tell ye a
little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was
missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I
said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman (Paper) would ye?' To
which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you
want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had
both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

Genius.

That said, O'Muircheartaigh isn't a patch on Eddie Moroney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t732xPiHGjI&feature=related

Genius.

That said, O'Muircheartaigh isn't a patch on Eddie Moroney:

Ahh, will ya stop !!!
Comparing Moroney to Micheal is akin to standing a Ford Fiesta alongside a Ferrari.
The man (Moloney) is just bluster and bombast without a shred of the wit or charm of O'Muicheartaigh.
Micheal hasn't been the voice of Sunday GAA for sixty years without good reason. The fella is a legend.

Ahh, will ya stop !!!
Comparing Moroney to Micheal is akin to standing a Ford Fiesta alongside a Ferrari.
The man (Moloney) is just bluster and bombast without a shred of the wit or charm of O'Muicheartaigh.
Micheal hasn't been the voice of Sunday GAA for sixty years without good reason. The fella is a legend.

I meant for the sheer comedic value; there's a reason one has been doing All-Irelands forever and one forever doing U-21 county championship matches!

Back