Leopardstown Festival

dobbin

Apprentice
Hello all, I am making my first trip ever to Ireland after Christmas going to Leopardstown on 28th & 29th December. I have never been to Leopardstown racecourse before, we are staying in Bray and just wanted some general info how far from Bray to racecourse? Places to eat restaurants etc any good pubs? Also any tips or info about racecourse.:D

Bray is a 15 min taxi ride to the course. There is also a feeder bust to the LUAS light rail system at Sandyford which is at the entrance to the race course - which should cost only a couple of Euro.

Bray is not great for pubs and restaurants, but is on the DART rail system which stops at Dalkey, Sandycove/Glasthule, Monkstown and Blackrock, all of which are full of both.

Tips for the racecourse; its very user friendly, there are no divisive 'rings' and viewing is good. If you plan to buy Toblerones you are in the right place.

Bray is a 15 min taxi ride to the course. There is also a feeder bust to the LUAS light rail system at Sandyford which is at the entrance to the race course - which should cost only a couple of Euro.

Bray is not great for pubs and restaurants, but is on the DART rail system which stops at Dalkey, Sandycove/Glasthule, Monkstown and Blackrock, all of which are full of both.

Tips for the racecourse; its very user friendly, there are no divisive 'rings' and viewing is good. If you plan to buy Toblerones you are in the right place.

Leopardstown is also going to be cheaper this year as there is no reserved enclosure for the big meeting.

If you 'need' to have a drink in Bray. O'Driscolls on the seafront or Duffs on the main st. would be your safest bet. Bray can be a bit ,lets say, hit and miss. There is one very good restaurant which I can get the name of if you intend to eat in Bray. Also rather than heading north to Dublin, Greystones is a nice small town 10 mins on the dart the other direction. There are many good restaurants. I can give you a heads up on these if you like, just tell me what your looking for.

As regards the racing, my advice would be to target the tote. There will be many holly and ivy punters adding to the pot so there will be plenty of value. An occasion, when if it looks too good to be true it's not !
Pay particular attention to gambles on Ted Walshs or Arthur Moore.There's usually a short priced Meade winner in a bumpers,.Willie Mullins in a handicap, especially where the last run was over a different distance a short time previously and any O'Grady potential new stars.

any O'Grady potential new stars.

Not sure if he's got the potential to be a "star" as such, but Cockleshell Road's run at Punchestown very much suggested to me that he might be this year's O'Grady Christmas maiden hurdle banker.

If you 'need' to have a drink in Bray. O'Driscolls on the seafront or Duffs on the main st. would be your safest bet. Bray can be a bit ,lets say, hit and miss. There is one very good restaurant which I can get the name of if you intend to eat in Bray. Also rather than heading north to Dublin, Greystones is a nice small town 10 mins on the dart the other direction. There are many good restaurants. I can give you a heads up on these if you like, just tell me what your looking for.

As regards the racing, my advice would be to target the tote. There will be many holly and ivy punters adding to the pot so there will be plenty of value. An occasion, when if it looks too good to be true it's not !
Pay particular attention to gambles on Ted Walshs or Arthur Moore.There's usually a short priced Meade winner in a bumpers,.Willie Mullins in a handicap, especially where the last run was over a different distance a short time previously and any O'Grady potential new stars.

Thanks Sheikh, would be great if you could get the name of the resturant in Bray as we probably will eat there one night also if you could recommomend a couple in Greystones we like Italian or a good steak or fish restaurant.

Also thanks for the tips regarding the racing as to be honest dont really follow Irish racing except for the "big" races.

Thanks Sheikh, would be great if you could get the name of the resturant in Bray as we probably will eat there one night also if you could recommomend a couple in Greystones we like Italian or a good steak or fish restaurant.

Also thanks for the tips regarding the racing as to be honest dont really follow Irish racing except for the "big" races.

I'll get the name for you, remind me If I forget.

There are a couple of decent Italians in Greystones. The one down by the harbour used to be in a very picturesque spot but there is a big development going on at the mo, also when they get busy quality can be hit and miss and you don't want that. if you come out of the dart station and turn left there is a decent inexpensive one on the same side of the road about 30 secs away, 'Vino Pasta'. Turn right for something a bit special in 'three Q's'.For a big steak or game and super wine, cross the road and go up a bit for the hungry monk,the restaraunt is upstairs,drink what ever they advise. I prefer upstairs but lots of people love the bistro downstairs. I can't stand the snooty French bloke that runs it myself. You'll have to book for the last three mentioned. Just up from the monk is the Royal park if your stuck. You'll always get in, the food is good (chinese)the service good usually, but check the bill. There are other places that are fine also, none I would say to avoid. If your having a pint , the Burnaby opposite the station is reknowned for the Bar staffs rudeness, they pride themselves on it. however it's usually the place to be around Christmas and that's where the local crowd will be, blow-ins and all ;) . Use the floor staff for drinks to avoid getting annoyed.

Sheesh, nearly forgot Chakra in the Meridean centre, I think Indian food is probably better in England but for Ireland this is very good and surroundings are nice, also book by phone.

Barracuda on Bray seafront is fine also, shouldn't be a problem getting a table at any time.

Barracuda as in the pub/bar chain Sheikh? Great place if so - always seem to end up in the Liverpool one after every Aintree meet :)

Thanks for all the info, fingers crossed the racing will be on I am really pissed off about Cheltenham today i was looking forward to it as usually work most meetings but had got today off.
:(

A few interesting points on that.

I note the senior citizen annual badge at €200 is only €60 cheaper than the full whack which suggests entry is €120 and the members bar is costing €140. which seems a little rich.

I also note the number of boxes that are available for group use. When has this ever happened before. Always guaranteed to sell this out. It was also impossible to get a table for lunch as I tried to get one before.

Times are tough, particularly when they are offering a flexi ticket for €20. Note that the reserved enclosure is gone this year.

Think the flexi day ticket is a great idea and its a fair price.
Yes it is a great idea. Also HRI are making a bit more of an effort to get people in through the gates. Get almost weekly €5 tickets. Used one at Navan at the weekend and also have them for Pierse Hurdle day, which is not too bad.

Got back yesterday, had a great time and two winners both days went 28th & 29th so came home with more money than i went with, so happy with that. Liked the track great viewing, great Guinness and I see what an capall means about the toblerones! Planning to go again next year really enjoyed my first trip to Ireland. Didnt actually get to look round Bray at all stayed in the hotel bar/restaurant when wasnt at the track as it was so cold we didnt bother venturing out down to the seafront. :):)

Glad you enjoyed it Dobbin. Only been to Ireland the once for the Irish Champion/All-Ireland final double-header when Oratorio won (Dylan Thomas and Septimus both ran on the undercard). Great place though with the way the Euro is going I imagine it's now about £4 a pint.

Back