Leopardstown Thursday

Bobbyjo

At the Start
Get back to the rest of the card later but...despite being beaten in this last year...you would have to think that off his hurdles mark Offshore Account would have to have a fantastic chance in the 3.10

Last time out he was taking on Kauto Star and Exotic Dancer

Now he's carrying ten stone on his favoured good ground over a trip he should stay. Haven't seen any prices yet but he's got to be a good bet

Novice hurdle looks like one of the races of the whole festive season. Cork All Star, Aranleigh and the intriguing Majestic Concorde.

Here goes nothing

12.25 Never really liked this race so not even going to waste my time delving into it.

12.55 Sophocles' run the last day doesn't look that bad at all in the context of Shazand but I'm beginning to wonder how trustworthy he is. Then again, the horses who raced in behind him the last day have done ok. Without any rain, Chateau D'Eau will enjoy the ground. Not sure if there's a great amount of strength in depth beyond the front two...again another watching brief perhaps. The O'Brien horse should be ok although he is coming out again very quickly after a disappointing run last time.

1.30: Good race...hard to assess now as we don't know whether Nickname runs. If he does, he'll be very difficult to beat although that's presuming conditions suit him and it's not too lively. I'd be inclined to think that Schindlers Hunt ran a better race than the formbook suggests last time. A race to watch again.....do you see a trend!

2.00: This is a very good renewal. Think Cork All Star will have benefitted from the experience the last day and remains the one to beat. Ground will not inconvenience him and should again have the beating of Whatuthink [probably wants easier ground] while the Meade duo wouldn't be as good as Muirhead.

Aranleigh has yet to convince so the main opponent of interest is Majestic Concorde. Has clearly improved and matured from this time last year when he was stuffed in the opener. Yet I would be surprised if he has improved beyond Cork All Star.

The outside bet here is Forpadydeplasterer. Never mind the fact that Mick The Dog was second the last time, it was a good race he won because there were some nice types in behind who have run well since. The Murphy yoke who finished sixth is very well regarded while O'Grady's who finished seventh won comfortably last week. With Russell on board, he's got a fair chance of running into the money.

2.35: A nice handy race, as always :what:

I'm disappointed that Teeming Rain hasn't developed over fences like I thought he might considering he was smart enough to beat Sweet Kiln and others over hurdles and maybe he doesn't want an all out bog. Always wary of what Tyner brings to the table so those runners merit respect. You would have expected Merdeka and O'Muircheartaigh to be plying their trade at higher plains when they were youngsters and their profiles have to be respected here. The ex-Paul Webber trained No Full ran a very nice race behind Aranleigh and Woodbine Willie over hurdles last time as a prep run and that merits respect. I can't figure out what they're doing with Point Barrow this year either but on his best he's potentially very nicely treated.

My main bet - albeit at small stakes - will be Baily Breeze. It would concern me that he hasn't exactly ran well around here before but he is versatile enough to have won on both good to firm ground and heavy, has some form in his book which would suggest he has a touch of class and gets in off a reasonable weight of 10.12. Admittedly he will have to improve from his run in the Troytown but I think he can come on for the better ground and can hopefully get a bit of daylight from a prominent position.

3.10 As I've discussed at the first page of this thread, I can't get away from Offshore Account but it hardly required the dexterity of Hetty Wainthrop to sort this one out from the crowd. The Racing Post has him in as the clear favourite and understandably so. If Foley has got Royal Paradise back to his best then he's an obvious each way bet.

3.40: I tend to leave such races to An Capall but I'd be thinking that Shakervilz will not at all be too inconvenienced by the conditions.

LIMERICK
1:10: Very nice race and you can take your pick of four. Larkwing handled tough conditions last time but it will be interesting to see how Alexander Taipan performs as he's surely using this as a prep to one of the bigger handicap chases in the New Year.

2.20: Flat enthusiasts will note the presence of Zalongo in a 74-102 rated handicap hurdle

2.50: Royal Heritage would have to go close here and if O'Muircheartaigh runs well or wins the Paddy Power then best to take the winnings and put it on this. However, a long outsider in this is That's My Idea who has won in both his previous outings at Limerick and may not have been 'off' in his two runs this season.

3.20: Sure to be plenty of drama here....best way to approach a Limerick novice betting wise is to lay the leader coming into the straight...I find anyway. It extends to a lot of races at the track. Anyway, that aside, Derek O'Connor knows his way around here and so does the horse so The Bosses Nephew gets a tentative vote

Good stuff Bobbyjo.

Think Cork All Star wont just "mind" the ground he will relish it.

Facinating to finally see In Compliance back...what arses though for not having him in the Lexus. Imagine they would have run him in it now the that ground is good.

I think Cork All Star will be well supported in the morning but I still have doubts about him and will be trying to lay him at close to the even money mark.

I'll be opposing Aranleigh strongly tommorrow at around 4/1.. given the trip and ground combination, he is far too short in what looks a decent renewal with Cork All Star and Majestic Concorde.. why is Mullins running him here instead of the Slaney Hurdle a week on Sunday?

Probably won't have a win bet on the race, though I like the look of Majestic Concorde.. Punchestown form worked out quite nicely as well..

Will post my thoughts on the rest of the card later..

I was happy enough with Schindler's Hunt's intro the last day. His jumping went astary when he started to get outclassed, may well have been 2nd (or close enough to second) otherwise.

I like Back to Bid and Firth of Forth in the big ugly chase.

Mansony deserved that.

Nickname looked like being tailed off at one stage but finished well.

The real eye catcher for me was In Compliance travelled and jumped really well until blatently blowing up turning in. Right Mr O'Brien keep it simple...leave him off now until the Hennessy...test his stamina there to be sure for once and for all and then go the Gold Cup or Ryanair route.

Barry G....another awful ride...how wide did he have that horse the whole way around? Jumped badly enough but the positioning of the horse throughout the race was awful.

Had a 'mare in the Paddy Power undoing a lot of good work of yesterday but That's My Idea saves the day by running second at Limerick. Serious sigh of relief time......

By the way, having backed Newbay Prop the last time out at Fairyhouse I can't express my sickness at today's events in a polite fashion.

It's funny really, you can study that race all you want but it's still a Tyner and a Martin yoke battling it out

Had a nice little touch laying Cork All Star at 2.02-I think he is overrated,his jumping was sloppy enough today.

Back