Les Landes Monday 26/5

stodge

At the Start
Last week Mrs Stodge and I visited the beautiful island of Jersey and drove up to look at Les Landes racecourse in the far north-west corner of the island from where you can look across to Sark. It's a pretty exposed place - great on a fine day, not so much fun with a gale blowing I would think.

Not a course with much in the way of facilities and reminds me of a country track I went to on the south island of New Zealand. Nonetheless, the locals take their racing seriously..

Tomorrow there is a five-race card at Les Landes (no coverage on RUK or ATR though I see RUK had a report from the meeting at L'Ancresse on Guernsey last Monday). The feature is the Warwick Vase, a 10-furlong handicap. Top weight is DANEHILL DAZZLER, last seen in September 2006 in the UK but third at the previous meeting over 12 furlongs. I would be more interested in FLIGHTY FELLOW, who was third in the Jersey Guineas.

The first two in that race, MOBUS WAN and BUCKIE MAASA, clash in the preceding 7-furlong handicap.

It's odd - betting shops in Jersey don't open on Sundays and there is more coverage of for example German racing in the UK than racing from the Channel Islands.

Declarations for tomorrow's meeting are here;

Les Landes Declarations

There only seem to be about 4 trainers on the island - they're going to be busy tomorrow lol

I loved this:

" Trainers are reminded to bring their horses’ passports and are asked to remind Jockeys to bring their Licenses"

:brows: :laughing: :laughing:

I was lucky enough to visit Les Landes with Balmacara about 3 years ago. It was Ladies Day and it is certainly a days racing I will never forget. We were treated like royalty as we were owners. It was absolutely wonderful - and Balmacara got into the winners enclosure too. :clap: Many UK trainers take their horses over for the racing - as they offer quite a few incentives. It's a real family affair and I would definitely love to go back one day.

I was there when I was very young but don't remember it very well - I do have a picture of me with Richard Dunwoody who was over for the day. Also have one of me on my dad's back as he clears the last hurdle!

:D

I will dig out a few of my photos from my visit and post them up. They are quite poignant to me, as it was my Mum's last holiday before she passed away. :(

Results from the Bank Holiday Monday meeting are here:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/stamford2/Results3-2008.html

The winner of the Warwick Vase, JILVARO, seems almost unknown. There is a 5-y-o of that name who was down the field in a race at Bordeaux in April 2007.

PRETTILINI is a 45-rated sprint handicapper. I remember her debut at Bath back in the spring of 2005. I thought she was a pony. She would be well suited to the twists and turns of Les Landes and though she never gets much beyond six furlongs on most tracks, the seven on Jersey would be fine.

As for SNOW LARK, if it's the same 7-y-o mare who had three undistinguished runs as a juvenile way back in April 02 she's come a long way.

It was a good day for Mrs Malzard with a treble on the card.

Back