Let's hear it for the OAPs! Mister McGoldrick

krizon

At the Start
How about that, eh? What a little marvel the old boy is. 13 years young and pinging away with the best of them. And seeing all but three of them off, too, adding his total winnings to around the £350,000 mark. You've got to love these teenagers, still firmly competitive and still enjoying what they do. Love him!

Hes lovely - always reminds me of Happy - looks similar, has a similar attitude and is just a generally happy horse who blatantly loves his racing.

Must be a complete pleasure to own...

He stood way off the ditch at the top of the hill.....and made it to the other side. Some jumper and if I recall, his jumping was not always so good.

That's the second absolute monster jump I've seen him do, Cantoris - he absolutely FLEW that one! You'd imagine he'd overpitch and splatter, but he just goes straight on. God only knows what that feels like - wheeeeee!

Do you think they will retire him at the end of the season or is he the type that would get bored at home?

I also wonder what the plans are for him. Thing is, if he's happy competing, he could carry on in regular chasing, or, I suppose, go over to hunter chases like so many other super chasers. I suspect he likes the hurly-burly of the whole experience, though - not just the race itself. Some horses, as you know, only have to spy a horsebox and start getting revved up for the outing. There's no way he's soured, like some others we could name, or just losing the ability (ditto). A lesser but still racing-nuts light, THE NEWSMAN, insisted on being raced until he was 14! His owners tried to retire him, but he got so upset when horses left for racing without him, they put him back to it. It doesn't matter if they don't run at the level they used to (we know they know nothing about their ratings!) - just the buzz of a raceday, the noise of the crowd, and the thrill of the 'off!' is what they love.

Back