Lincoln Preview

Flame

At the Start
FOREVER SET TO BE THE PRINCE OF TURF MOOR

Doncaster
The William Hill Lincoln Handicap

BLYTHE KNIGHT
Winner of this race two season’s ago and scored twice at the start of last season in conditions and listed company. 14lb higher than his last start in a handicap and has to give away weight in what looks the strongest Lincoln in a long time.

FAJR

Been in good form on the all weather lately and won off only a pound lower mark in January. Yard in good form but has always looked better on a quicker surface.

PRINCE FOREVER
Only ran three times in his career but his debut win came in similar conditions to what he will encounter this afternoon. Far from disgraced in a decent listed race on his only start last season and looks capable of building on that run today. Goes well fresh and well drawn. One to consider.

CLPPERDOWN
Ran some decent races in America this past two seasons and was previously alot lower than this class when trained by Walter Swinburn. Hard to fancy with the ground likely to be slow enough for him and a bit high in the ratings off 105.

MINE
Grand old servant over the years and has won two Bunbury Cups at Newmarket. Suited by the strong gallop he will get today but ideally suited better by faster ground and he is not getting any younger. Faces a tough task despite a decent draw and hasn’t got a great record fresh.

EUROPEAN DREAM
2lb higher than his last win but does stay well and handles soft ground. Not looked that impressive on two starts so far this season in Dubai but likely to be feeling better than some of these having come back from a warmer climate. Not drawn great however.

RAPTOR
4TH off exactly the same mark last season and was doing his best work late on. Has been running very well on the all weather earlier in the winter and does have a good record fresh. Draw a worry but can’t be totally dismissed.

CLASSIC PORT
Had three good runs to his name last season for Andre Fabre and was very impressive winning at Maisons-Laffite winning a competitive handicap. Looked in need of the run for his comeback at Wolverhampton and ran a good race in 4th. Will strip fitter here and has ground ideal so a serious candidate from a very decent draw. One for the shortlist.

RIO RIVA
Runner up 12 months ago at Newcastle and again ran well at York when 3rd to the very useful Pride Of Nation. 3lb higher this time around but goes well fresh and has conditions in his favour this afternoon. Likely to get a stronger pace this time round and well drawn to go close.

AZAROLE
Useful performer for Stan Moore the past couple of season’s and now joined Jane Chapple-Hyam. Hasn’t really done enough to suggest he can win off this high a mark in handicaps and has always looked better on a faster surface.

YEAMANS HALL
Been one of my main Ante Post fancies for this for a long time and he has the look of a typical Lincoln winner. Gradually progressing he ran a good 7th in a string Sandown handicap on his final start last season. Ground looks perfect for him and an excellent record fresh but draw is a slight worry.

VERY WISE
Confident selection for us 12 months ago when winning this and he continued to thrive afterwards. Best suited by a mile on slowish conditions he has been working extremely well in Newmarket lately and the yards horses are in excellent form at present. 6lb higher than his last win but connections feel he has improved and could go well if he can angle over a bit from stall 17.

LITTLE WHITE LIE
Winner of a decent 7f handicap at the Curragh last season off a mark of 89 and had also been shaping with promise over 7f on testing ground. Mark off 99 doesn’t look too harsh but interesting to see Ryan Moore turn down the ride. Needs to build on comeback effort at Dundalk but well enough drawn to run a respectable race if he can.

BABODANA
Winner off 107 when successful in 2004 and has run plenty of decent races since. Never really got serious in handicaps last season but a creditable effort near the end of the season at Leicester does gauge some encouragement. Off 98 he does look well treated on his best form and recent all weather runs could have put him sport on. Shouldn’t be discounted easily when you bare in mind Neil Callan had the choice between him and Smokey Oakey.

ANNEMASSE
A few fair efforts at higher company for Mark Johnston last season having won 3 of his first 4 starts. Only try on slower ground was a bit of a disappointment and that has to be noted this afternoon with the ground reported testing. Hard enough to improve one of Johnston’s and probably best watched today.

VITZNAU
Consistent and progressive 7f handicapper last season and came under punter abuse a few times when seemingly given plenty to do. Gradually improving but a career high of 97 to overcome here and his last win was 13lb lower. Yet to prove he conclusively stays 1m and whilst he travels well in his races he does seem to flatten to deceive. Claims if trip improves him but he needs to.

WATAMU
Impressive and improving handicapper last season over 10 and 12f and beat Very Wise in comfortable style at Lingfield prior to that horses Lincoln win. 10lb higher now and a year off the track but yards horses are reported in good order. Likely first try at 1m in four years will find him out today and disappointed on only real try on soft ground.

FREMAN
Has done well for Dandy Nicholls and won off 7lb lower last season at Ayr. Not disgraced in the Cambridgeshire afterwards but mark of 96 will need to see him produce a career best to win. Didn’t show enough in Dubai to get overly excited by him and whilst ground will suit the draw doesn’t look to have been too kind.

SMOKEY OAKEY
Decent handicapper who likes to bowl along in his races. Seriously impressive on final start last season and the one thing you know about him is he handles the ground down to the tee. 9lb higher than that win but clearly progressive and his excess stamina could be brought into play here. Neil Callan has however chosen to ride Babodana and that is rather interesting.

DHAULAR DHAR
Very interesting runner for connections and having won over a mile at Chester last season connections have got him down to just 1lb higher by running him plenty of times over trips far too short for him. His 4th in the Bunbury Cup reads very well and interesting back on his ideal ground over his trip off a mark he can win off. Very well drawn he is one at a price I can see running a big race.

ESCAPE ROUTE
Finally started concentrating on racing once gelded and a horse that has always been let down by his temperament. Stalls issues seem to have been ironed out and seemed to do very well in two competitive handicaps at Goodwood last season. Not disgraced in Dubai when running on dirt and whilst he looks to have a good chance at the weights here, the soft ground is an unknown factor.

TEMPLE PLACE
Won on his first start for this yard at Chester last season over 10f and could have been called the winner a fair way out on that occasion. Picked up an injury next time out and has been gradually brought back to health for a well fancied crack at this. Unknown if this ground will suit but by Sadler’s Wells and does the stamina to stay on well here. Well drawn and a mark of 95 is enough to have some confidence and may go well here if handling this slower surface.

THE SUMMARY

Can easily be said that this is one of the most quality filled Lincoln’s in many years with the lowest rated horse in the race rated 95. The ground will provide testing enough conditions and whilst a 9f – 10f performer could have an advantage you wouldn’t want to be getting outpaced when the main contenders kick.

Vitznau has been supported for this all week and whilst he handles conditions very well its unknown whether he will get the mile and in my opinion this is probably not the race to find out. He has a good draw and should come off a strong gallop but his record of places worries me slightly that he may not be the most genuine of horses.

Rio Riva is one I do like and on a straight line with Very Wise you would expect him to reverse the form off a 6lb pull for 1l. He loves a straight mile and has the ground exactly how he likes it this afternoon. He rates a big player for me.

The draw seems to have ruined the chances for Yeaman’s Hall who was my long time fancy for this. He has a very high draw today but I’m sure William Buick will be angling across to try and come up the centre. He is a very talented horse and I think he will make the step up into a group performer this season. He stays well and loves this surface. If he can get across early I would expect him to be there at the finish.

Very Wise is faced with a similar problem but a few more stalls over should see his rider also angling across early to come more central. Winners have come up the centre here in the past and he is in great form at home. He may look handicapped out of it off 100 but he hasn’t stopped improving this winter and shouldn’t be discarded.

At bigger odds I’m expecting big runs from Dhaular Dhar and Babodana. I really think they have everything going for them this afternoon and with the ground, draw and trip perfect for them I think they are huge at 40s and 33s. Babodana has been working well in Newmarket and Neil Callan did have the choice between him and Smokey Oakey.

However my main couple here come in the shape of Classic Port and PRINCE FOREVER.

Classic Port has been lined up for this by Michael Wigham but is unable to train him because of a suspension. He handles this ground as he proved in France and has a good draw this afternoon. He needed the run at Wolverhampton and connections said he wasn’t suited by all the bends and better is expected today. He done a pleasing piece of work earlier in the week and comes here in good form with a big run expected from an excellent draw. He is huge at 28/1.

But for me PRINCE FOREVER is the main bet to give Newmarket their 3rd win in 4 years. Michal Jarvis’ lightly raced 4yo has had his fair share of leg trouble in the past but has been going very well at home and has been working with group horses and stamping his authority over them. He wants the ground as slow as possible and this mile will really suit him having been outpaced over 7f last season when 3rd to the classy Tariq. He is very fit for this and with an excellent draw, ground ideal and major form rivals drawn a bit out of it he looks to have plenty going for him. This has been the aim for quite a while now and he should go very close at 8/1.

Advised Bets

2pts Ew – Prince Forever @ 15/2
1pt Ew – Yeaman’s Hall @ 8/1
1pt Ew – Classic Port @ 28/1
0.5pts Win, 1pt Place – Very Wise @ 26 @ 5.4
0.5pts Ew, Dhaular Dhar & Babodana @ 40/1 & 33/1

11.5pts Staked.

Good Luck

Chris Beek

I think Azarole will run a lot better than the price suggest, will finish closer to first than last.

Great stuff Chris, much appreciated, will pop into town in a mo and put on my bets!

nice write up Chris

I've backed Viznau, think this one can show improvemnet at 8f looking at the breeding...looks a likely ..underexposed at the trip.. animal.

Hannon knows whats required to win this...looks to have a big chance to me

Had a little ew on Classic Port, but it's a real lottery, and it's still not clear whether there's a draw advantage to be had.

In the end I backed Prince Forever and Dhaular Dhar both e/w but I had a long-standing antepost fiver on Blythe Knight at 28 - really thought I was going to collect there for a mo! Sad I never had an e/w on him too cry

For some reason i find it hard to pull the trigger at the start of the Flat season (probably because my staking goes up and i like to start ideally with the Guineas) but Blythe Knight tempted me when i was perusing the Post at work this morning. I love classy top weights in both codes. My heart was in my mouth listening to the commentary - a missed 30 odd/1 winner would have been very hard to swallow. :eek:

From a 10 year trends point of view there was only 2 qualifiers Classic Port, and Smokey Oakey.

I only did the 10y t after the race to see if the winner fitted the profile, my anti post bet did not run, so i had no interest in the race.

Back