Lingfield 16 Jan

stodge

At the Start
I’m heading to Lingfield for Saturday afternoon’s AW meeting. After the recent snows, it’ll be nice to see the grass again and perhaps the NH meeting on the 25th will be able to go ahead.

Anyway, race one is a maiden for older horses over a mile and a half. ALHAQUE ran well over two furlongs further at Goodwood and has obvious claims. The only reasonable alternative looks to be the Terry Mills newcomer BUXTED but I’ll see how the market looks before I decide whether to get too involved.

Race two is a maiden for 3-y-o and upwards over seven furlongs. Two 4-y-o take on the youngsters and of them NOBLE JACK looks much the more interesting though he’s not run for over a year, which is a concern. Among the younger horses, FIVEFOLD and FREDDY’S GIFT had plenty of outings as juveniles and the former showed the better form finishing up in fair nurseries. Of those with less experience, MONTEROSSO shaped with some promise on his debut as did MINORTRANSGRESSION. I slightly favour the latter though again the market is likely to be informative.

Race three is a seller over seven furlongs. Only four to choose from here but it’s not easy. OBE GOLD isn’t one of my favourites as he seems to make hard work of everything and looks a Southwell horse. I prefer GOODBYE CASH who won at Kempton last time but he does pull hard and that’s a worry though if he can control the race from the front, he might take some stopping.

Race four is a handicap over a mile and a half. CALZAGHE has ability but doesn’t look the most resolute while SUNSET BOULEVARD couldn’t win a seller the other day and CHANROSSA was turned over in a weak maiden. I prefer the CD winner WINNING SHOW who ran well at Kempton the other day.

Race five is a handicap for 3-y-o over a mile and a quarter. COSIMO DE MEDICI won nicely at Southwell the other day but you’d have done pretty well over the years here taking on Southwell form which doesn’t usually translate and especially if the Fibresand has been riding slow. There are queries over the others to be honest. MARY HELEN was beaten in a weak claimer while CAPTAIN COOL has the weight concession but was beaten in a weak handicap at Kempton. I prefer KATHINDI who was third in a reasonable maiden here and could improve for the step up in trip.

Race six is a handicap for older horses over a mile and a quarter. This looks a pretty moderate heat and LITENUP at least comes here in form off a Kempton win. Both MID WICKET and WOMANISER have place efforts in similar races and I prefer TOO GRAND from my old mate John Bridger’s yard that was staying on in a fair handicap over seven furlongs last time. The step up in trip is a concern as is the long absence but he could be a value e/w bet at a big price.

The final race is a handicap over five furlongs. Some old friends on parade here and THOUGHTSOFSTARDOM comes off a recent course win and will be hard to beat. That said, he’s drawn wide and there are one or two of these who are getting plenty of weight. To be fair, CAPE DOWN and TEN DOWN will probably jump and run and set it up for those who can come off the pace. That suggests to me both STEEL CITY BOY and MONSIEUR REYNARD who have place form already this year. I marginally prefer the latter but there’s very little in it.

Selections then at this time:

1.10: ALHAQUE
1.40: MINORTRANSGRESSION
2.10: GOODBYE CASH
2.40: WINNING SHOW (nap)
3.10: KATHINDI
3.40: TOO GRAND (e/w)
4.10: MONSIEUR REYNARD

:o

I'm afraid so...

Confession time, it's my birthday today and I've spent the whole day away from the RP or any racing medium. Mrs Stodge is allowing me to go tomorrow.

Could a Mod out there save me from total embarrassment ????

Ta.

Happy birthday, Stodgerino! Nice one! Now just remember to turn up at Lingfield and not wander off to Kempton...

Many Happys, Stodge! Don't forget to ask John B about ONE COOL CHICK - not thatr he'll start to feel any extra pressure with all the enquiries, you understand !!

Back