Lingfield 8/2

stodge

At the Start
It may be the bleak midwinter but I've got the day off tomorrow and I'm off to Lingfield for a full eight-race card expected to be run on heavy ground which will likely be tacky and holding.

The card, however, starts with the first division of a Bumper which will be run on the Polytrack. One or two snippets of form on offer including FIVE OUT OF FIVE who was second at Downpatrick on good ground. This will be very different and I'm more interested in TROJAN REEF if only because I can't recall the last time Gerard Butler had a runner in a Bumper.

Race two is a handicap chase over three miles. IT'S A CLASSIC heads the weights and has a welter burden after slogging it out at Towcester and I wouldn't count on BILLYBO being out of it in receipt of a stone and a half in weight. The latter fell three out in the Towcester race but though this will be a slog it's not quite in the same league as the Northamptonshire slopes. FREDDIE'S RETURN has claims but I prefer QUARTZ DU MONCEAU who ran well at Plumpton and has the twin advantages of youth and a light weight.

Race three is a novices' hurdle over just short of two and a half miles. A number of these will benefit from the step up in trip from two miles and that includes CHOSEN NATIVE and SAMURAI WAY but I prefer SARANDO who chased home a nice sort from Alan King's yard at Plumpton the other day and could be on the upgrade.

Race four is a novices' chase over two and a half miles. There are one or two uncertain jumpers in this field and the Lingfield fences aren't to be under-estimated. NOMECHEKI looked good last time and would have won far more easily but for stumbling after the last. BAKBENSHER was disappointing last time to be honest and I'll give GREAT ENDEAVOUR a chance over this slightly more suitable trip.

Race five is a handicap hurdle over two miles. There's a fair amount of dead wood on offer here but BAN UISCE won well in a conditional riders' race at Folkestone the other day. I prefer CRYSTAL PRINCE who did it well at Plumpton and gets a useful weight concession. MIDNIGHT SPIRIT looks set to run his usual consistent race and be in the shake up.

Race six is a handicap chase over two miles. I can't get too excited about this lot to be honest. PRET A THOU did it well at Warwick and looks one of the few of these to be in any kind of form. WILLIAM BONNEY would pick these up and carry them at his best but he's been out of form recently.

Race seven is a handicap hurdle over just short of three miles. A big field but a lot of these look pretty moderate. QUINTE DU CHATELET bolted up at Chepstow and the extra difference won't be a problem but the big weight might. CALLERLILLY also won at Chepstow but over today's trip and gets a useful 8 lbs from QUINTE DU CHATELET and has a big chance. MAGNIFICO also has claims.

Race eight is the second division of the Bumper. BOA has obvious claims after his second at the December meeting over CD. I prefer JUPITER WARNING who shaped nicely at Southwell on debut and can improve.

Selections therefore:

1.20: TROJAN REEF
1.50: QUARTZ DU MONCEAU
2.20: SARANDO
2.50: GREAT ENDEAVOUR
3.20: CRYSTAL PRINCE
3.50: PRET A THOU (nap)
4.20: CALLERLILLY
4.50: JUPITER WARNING

I swerved Fontwell today because, having got half-dressed, I suddenly realised how many G1's Leopardstown had to offer, so betrayed my vow to go and see dear old KAPPELHOFF slug round, in favour of the darling JONCOL, and stayed in. But I'll be at Lingers tomorrow - not working, either! - so might see you, Stodgers. I'm hoping that the previously sparkling WILLIAM BONNEY might get back to form but, as you say, he's been off the boil recently, and will just be worth watching tomorrow.

Trojan Reef is indeed well thought of and I fear a tissue of 6/1 may be a pipedream, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one start favourite and win well.

Steve: no chance of seeing you there, too?

Just noticed: 7.30 am inspection called, as rain and frost expected.

Last edited:
Can't make tomorrow, which is a shame, meeting goes ahead though, temperatures staying above freezing overnight so inspection cancelled.

Yes, it is a shame, as haven't seen you in ages. Good news that the frost didn't hit and the course didn't lose the meeting.

Lingfield Review

Sorry I didn't see you at Lingfield today, Jon. I managed to blag my way into the Os, Ts and AMs bar where I holed up between races. I'm afraid it was not a day for the fainthearted to be venturing out...

Anyway, here's the review...

Despite a bleak midwinter Monday with snow in the air, a decent crowd turned up to Lingfield’s final NH meeting of the season. The ground was heavy and the rail on the downhill descent to the home turn was moved out after a horse slipped up in the novices hurdle.

I missed the opening Bumper but arrived in time for the second race, a three-mile handicap chase. This was a real slog and soon found out QUARTZ DU MONTCEAU who was beaten passing the stands and eventually pulled up. IT’S A CLASSIC was close to the pace but the big weight did for him in the home straight. FREDDIES RETURN fell three out when having every chance and it was SHAKING HANDS who came through to win, defeating TOPLESS. The winner had been disappointing at Hereford last time but this was a much better effort, albeit in a modest field.

Race three was a novices’ hurdle over two miles. In the pre-race exchanges, the money was for RIF who was backed from 11/2 to 3s. He was reluctant to line up but eventually consented to race. However, he was free and was soon prominent with SARANDO. These two poached a considerable advantage after the third last and the favourite THE RAINBOW HUNTER was being ridden and not really closing when slipping on the descent to the home straight and falling. The poached ground was railed out a few yards before the next race and there were no further incidents.

SARANDO and RIF duelled briefly at the second last but RIF soon looked beaten and SARANDO powered on to a facile win. I was taken by his effort at Plumpton behind Salden Licht and he looks a good prospect on soft/heavy ground. RIF is certainly one for the notebook especially if some temperament issues can be resolved. The others were well beaten off though GORING ONE ran on well for fourth.

Race four was a novices’ chase over a shade in excess of two and a half miles. Some nice sorts in this and favourite CHARIOT CHARGER led from the start and jumped pretty well. However, they went no pace in the testing ground and really only quickened from the second last by which time the disappointing GREAT ENDEAVOUR had been shaken off. NOMECHECKI jumped well enough and was waited with but a combination of his penalty and his perhaps doubtful stamina left him struggling on the run-in. CHARIOT CHARGER led at the last but in spite of a 6 lb weight advantage could not hold off BAKBENSHER who quickened to score. A tendency to jump right was disconcerting and he may be better going right-handed though he has been effective over left-handed tracks. Stamina seems a strong suit for this one and moving up to three miles might be the next move.

CHARIOT CHARGER did little wrong and is a nice sort who will win a chase before long while it was pleasing to see NOMECHECKI jump better and it may well be that he will be back to his best over a shorter trip and on better ground.

Race five was a handicap hurdle over two miles. This was a weak race but it was won well by the top weight LETHAM ISLAND who was brought wide up the home straight by Richard Johnson and was in command before the last. He easily gave 20 lbs to WATCH OUT who has been well beaten in sellers while KEYNEEMA ran ok in third. BAN UISCE looked to have a real chance on the home turn but faded as did MIDNIGHT SPIRIT.

Race six was the day’s feature chase; a Class 3 handicap over two miles. Money came for INVISIBLE MAN, who was backed in to favouritism but although he looked a threat at halfway he was never going to get in a blow as PRET A THOU made every yard and galloped these into submission. I thought Harry Challoner had gone plenty quick enough in the conditions and some of the jumps were a little low but there was no doubting his superiority from the second last (the usual last fence was omitted). KEW JUMPER gave valiant chase but was beaten at the last allowing SOLE AGENT to come home a respectful second. PRET A THOU defined a 10 lb rise for his Warwick win and the handicapper will clearly take another look but on the other hand the horse is clearly improving fast and looks effective at the minimum trip.

Race seven was the day’s feature hurdle, a Class 3 handicap over just shy of three miles. This was another gruelling slog and favourite FRUITY O’ROONEY had these in trouble from some way out and won unchallenged. The cheek pieces might have helped but he is in a rich vein of form at present. THE BOFFINATOR was unconsidered at 50s but looked a real threat from the second last until weakening. This was a career best from a horse whose previous form was moderate at best. MAGNIFICO stayed on dourly for third but many of these were bogged down in the mud and the form of this race is probably not to be taken too literally.

Race eight was a Bumper over two miles on the Polytrack. The betting saw a gamble on GRADUATION NIGHT from 12s to 6s but that went astray though the idea of backing a newcomer against those with experience was accurate. JUPITER WARNING was beaten turning for home and BOA led to the final furlong but was brushed aside by YUKON QUEST and YEMENI PRINCESS and the latter narrowly prevailed at the rewarding odds of 20s. I suppose one could argue that she was pretty well bred being by Bahri out of a Celtic Swing mare that won three times on the level but stamina looked a question mark and there was no apparent market support. As Bumpers are always run at a slow pace on the Polytrack, the stamina didn’t really come into it today. YUKON QUEST had gone into a few notebooks after his Newbury debut and he looks a nice prospect for novice hurdling. BOA was well held in third and simply couldn’t quicken with the first two when it mattered.

Ah, you missed the fun and games in the parade ring as you didn't see the first, Stodge. TIGER BAY had a little hissy fit, punted his poor lass into the rails quite hard, and then ran backwards as she tried to hang onto him, dragging her to the floor, while Will Kennedy promptly fell off! MZURI BAY's trainer, Brendan Duke, caught the little blighter, who continued to attempt to repeat the trick, while MZURI BAY gave a few bucks, too, just to show solidarity.

I know SHAKING HANDS (it's the old monkey joke, isn't it? Because I can't see how the parentage of BACH - PICTON LASS makes the name) won, but I was mightily impressed by TOPLESS, ye olde gray mare, doing pretty much all the work. HEART SPRINGS should be retired, poor lass, at the age 10 and clearly finding things all too much nowadays.

Lucy Wadham's BROOKS BANK by ALDERBROOK, 7 y.o. in the Class 4 Nervous Hurdle, will be aimed at 3m and a sharper track, she says. I guess a 9th was a bit better than his previous 0P- ! RIF was daft before the start, refusing to join the others for quite a long time until walked in. He doesn't have a 'R' on his form, but I won't be surprised if he manages it one day. Handsome, flashy beast, but wilful.

Very pleased to see another good BOB BACK win - BAKBENSCHER, battling with the excellent CHARIOT CHARGER - noticeable that Jack Doyle fiddled this rather headstrong animal on the first circuit, letting have half an inch of rein, then easing him back, then repeating the trick, to get him to settle. He's another horse who looks like he loves the chasing game, but who takes a tug.

TURBO SHANDY had to be walked in to the start of the Class 3 h/cap chase at 3.50, and he does have the suspicious 'r' on his form, but his placing today was his best for a very long time. Most taken with PRET A THOU's all-way facile win. I know nothing of Mr. Harry Challoner, the 7lb claimer, but what a super ride the horse gave him! Another horse - also aged 10 - who's clearly losing the will to live is WILLIAM BONNEY. Lost touch completely from four out - the race card said 'respected', but he's been very in and out with his form, and I have the feeling he's had enough.

FRUITY O'ROONEY was ideally built for today's slogfest - he's not any height, compact, and could be mistaken for a sprint-to-middle distance Flat horse any day. He's owned by the large and very enthusiastic local racing club, Heart of the South, who've had horses with Gary Moore (and Sheena West) for years. Lovely to see him reward them with another win on heavy ground. It scoots through it very agilely, and had recovered quite quickly from his efforts by the time he was led out of the winner's circle.

I enjoyed a super lunch in the restaurant, which was not even half full. I went outside several times, especially to have a long look at CALLERLILY, who I thought would do well today (she didn't), but failed to spot you. But if you were wimping out in the O/Ts Bar (and I won't even ask how you got past our twin Cerberuses on the doors!), then no wonder!

Back