Lingfield Easter Friday

• Thread starter Thread starter marbler
  • Start date Start date
M

marbler

Good card, anyone going? Loads of prize money, providing an exquisite betting proposition for mugs like me trying to take a few quid off the bookies.

Here's a few I fancy, just to try and wet everyone's' appetite. You're not going to spend the day opening easter eggs are you?!

1:45
Asia Minor has to be my selection with 8:4 pounds on its back. Some decent opposition in the field, though this horse is on a roll and I reckon he'll score again tomorrow. The tongue tie has worked the oracle: I think he's a 85 rated horse based on what he's done.

2:20
Burren View Lady for trainer Tim Easterby appeals a lot here at double figure odds. She apparently had excuses last time, but before was consistently placed and kept staying on in her races. This better class event and the extra furlong will ensure a better pace which may suit: Burren View Lady can stay towards the business end of race here as a result.

2:55
The favourite may win but I'm going each way for Golden Amber E/W. Horse noted as not staying the 6F over in England in his three runs so far, but won in Ireland before over 6F; I wonder if he has just not put it all in or concentrated that well on his first few tries over here. His trainer Dean Ivory steps him up in trip here by a furlong..he obviously think he can get a trip like this. He has applied a hood to try to bring about a better performance.

3:30
Castilo Del Diablo has not been raised in the handicap for recent win at Kempton where cheekpieces were applied for the first time. He wears them again tomorrow; The Racing Post are correct to call him a major player and he will take the beating.

4:05
Stepper Point (NAP) is highest rated horse in the field by a mile, but races with same weight as everything else, so obviously been well placed by his trainer here in this conditions race. Won successive races a couple of times on the bounce, so after recent win now looks the time to back him.

I've no idea about last two races!
Good luck if you're playing.

Last edited:
Waste of money. Decent racing, yes, especially considering it's all-weather but the prize money is ridiculously high compared with some of the prizes on offer to Group horses during the rest of the season. I'll be looking at the staying handicap at Musselburgh!

There's a number that are (or eventually will be) 'group horses' running tomorrow: considering the lack of pattern races on artificial surfaces, that's not a bad representation
More's the pity it's a bookie funded initiative - to squeeze in racing on Good Friday - rather than a serious attempt to elevate AW racing to where it should have been a couple of decades ago.

Last edited:
I'll be there Marble. Will be in the pub opposite the station from about 11:30 which pretty much sums up the meeting IMHO.

Decent enough racing though, considering.

I like the look of a couple of Tom Dascombes

4.05 Trinityelitedotcom 12's over priced (all rounder, 5 wins 4 places in last 9 Dasombe has placed it well & no reason to think he wont figure in this. will go with c/f Stepper Point (already backed Tdotcom e/w)

4.40 Anaconda 10's (returning to winning trip, last but 2)

Last edited:
More's the pity it's a bookie funded initiative - to squeeze in racing on Good Friday - rather than a serious attempt to elevate AW racing to where it should have been a couple of decades ago.

Absolutely, Reet.

I was very much pro-AW when it was first mooted, as I was with Sunday racing. I envisaged it as a chance to eliminate many of the vagaries of turf which would allow greater consistency for form and with decent prize money it would have been a golden opportunity to get top class horses out more often.

Instead, we got one non-triers' convention after another.

Same with Sunday racing.

Anyway, good luck to anyone brave enough to risk their dough on what is only marginally more appealing than virtual racing.

Meanwhile back at Musselburgh...

Really don't believe that's necessarily the case. Not only was an extra £1m put into the game to fund this meeting, but a similar amount has been invested throughout the season.

As ever, the most vociferous complainers about AW racing, are those with little interest/understanding of it.

Anyway, these are arguments for another thread another day. Just put all your hard-earned on Hawkeyethenoo in the sprint. This is a 5s the field race and he looks to have a good chance as any. Needs a real strong pace to run at, but that looks likely in this field. And from stall 4, hopefully should get a position to be able to go round in an economical fashion.

Might as well add my penny's worth. Gosden and Buick are getting out of bed for one runner in the last,Dick Doughtywylie.Ran well in the Winter Derby,has a better draw today and the stable is in form so my best bet on the card.

Really don't believe that's necessarily the case. Not only was an extra £1m put into the game to fund this meeting, but a similar amount has been invested throughout the season.

As ever, the most vociferous complainers about AW racing, are those with little interest/understanding of it.

Anyway, these are arguments for another thread another day. Just put all your hard-earned on Hawkeyethenoo in the sprint. This is a 5s the field race and he looks to have a good chance as any. Needs a real strong pace to run at, but that looks likely in this field. And from stall 4, hopefully should get a position to be able to go round in an economical fashion.

It appears that in fact it was Racing for Change ( Great British Racing ) as they are now so pretentiously called that were behind this meeting being on Good Friday . Frankly, a decision so crass , selfish and contemptible that it beggars belief. We have one Easter bank holiday already on which to race which is now packed with dreadful low quality racing - why not put it on there .

Whilst a mares race with the highest horse rated 82 gets a £93,000 prize and the Earl of Sefton, Craven and Abernant only £36,000 . The 10f race is worth nearly three and a half times as much as the Earl of Sefton yet much the better horses were in that race.

It is madness .

Chookie Royale (4.40) has a much better chance than the current 9/1 suggests.
8lb in hand on official figures and still improving, he would have beaten Grey Mirage in a few more strides in his last c/d run. That was on a much faster surface (0.1 off track record) than is likely today, and with GM barely getting 1m at this level, CR should comfortably reverse the placings.

Not only was an extra £1m put into the game to fund this meeting, but a similar amount has been invested throughout the season.

It doesn't alter the fact that bookmakers run British racing to suit their own purposes. For the BHA to 'invest' in this is like a moll tarting herself up to meet her gangster lover.

Totally disagree. People see it for what it has become. Dross. It doesn't matter in the least that there may be track biases or surface characteristics to be exploited or whatever, the fare on offer is dross, uncompetitive and largely corrupt.

However, for the sake of the thread, here are the winners:

1.45 Asia Minor
2.20 High Time Too
2.55 Ertijaal
3.30 Blue Wave
4.05 Stepper Point
4.40 Anaconda
5.20 Grandeur

You're welcome.

Last edited:
I agree with you, most of it is dross, but I felt there were some decent angles to be had on todays proceedings.

Much better than the usual, imho

Last edited:
You'd have to hope so, marble, wouldn't you?!

If today's money couldn't attract much better horses than the usual we'd be in an even worse state.

I expect 90% of today's runners to be trying compared with the usual 30%. Those drawn wide or hampered early will give up sooner than normal so maybe 50% will still be trying as they turn for home. Big improvement.

Thanks for the winners Desi ;) you've forgotten the Mussy handicap winner....

Last edited:
Chookie Royale (4.40) has a much better chance than the current 9/1 suggests.
8lb in hand on official figures and still improving, he would have beaten Grey Mirage in a few more strides in his last c/d run. That was on a much faster surface (0.1 off track record) than is likely today, and with GM barely getting 1m at this level, CR should comfortably reverse the placings.

With you here Reet. This has been the target for a while

Back