Lingfield Friday May 9th

stodge

At the Start
I attended Lingfield on Friday - a gorgeous afternoon - and in lieu of a full review, I thought I'd share a few notes. First thing to say (and this has been well reported) was that the turf course was riding very quick. There looked to be a good covering of grass but no watering had been carried out to my knowledge.

Times were exceptionally fast with the course record shattered in the 5-furlong handicap.

The two most interesting events were the maidens for juveniles and 3-y-o respectively. The juvenile maiden attracted a good-looking field - they looked a nice bunch in the paddock though if I had to offer a negative it would have been the well-backed SOUTER'S SISTER who for me looked edgy.

MYTHICAL BORDER was a most impressive winner and she was always travelling strongly. Whether she's a Queen Mary horse I don't know but she has lots of speed at this stage. That said, she was drawing away at the end and I doubt a sixth furlong would bother her now. TRUE BRITANNIA was well beaten by the winner but ran a most encouraging race albelit with the advantage of the stands side stall.

The 3-y-o maiden was dominated by TAWAASH who did it well enough but I think he might prefer easier ground. EXPRESSO STAR went straight into the notebook after a most pleasing debut and he will certainly come into his own over a mile or further. GRANDE ANNEE did very little wrong in third and will surely win a race while the second Gosden runner. THEORY, was slowly away but ran on well under a "quietish" ride from Darryll Holland.

THEORY is very well bred and I think she will improve considerably on this again over a longer trip.

Back