Lingfield Notes 15/1/2011

stodge

At the Start
It's 50 not out for me today so I've been at Lingfield just to show there's more than one racecourse in Surrey !!

The opening Class 5 handicap was a popular winner in the Annual Members room as LINGFIELD BOUND (owned by a syndicate of local malcontents) scored well but a honourable mention for second-placed TRANSFORMER who ran a blinder after a long absence.

The Class 6 Claimer went to FAITHFUL RULER, who had been bought out of Richard Fahey's yard after winning a seller here just before New Year. Despite a hefty weight concession, DREAM OF FORTUNE was always held in the straight. LANG SHINING ran well in third and should be useful over a couple of furlongs further at this level.

The median auction maiden for 3-y-o went to debutant WESTERN PRIZE who was backed from levels to 8/11 and saw off OBSESSION, who was much improved from an inauspicious debut. The winner is related to some nice sorts and could go on to much better things.

A big gamble on ANGELIC UPSTART (from 9/4 to 11/10) went astray in the class 4 handicap for 3-y-o over a mile. PALM PILOT followed up her recent Wolverhampton success but AMWELL PINOT (who was giving the winner 16 lbs) ran a blinder in defeat and must be close to breaking his maiden on this evidence.

A gamble on PICANSORT (9/2 to 3s) was landed in the Class 5 6-furlong handicap though it was a desperate finish with PRIZE POINT and the fast-finishing PIPERS PIPING in the mix. One or two in the AMs box thought CHJIMES had been unlucky in running.

The Class 5 maiden for 3-y-o over six furlongs had a dramatic start when the Elsworth debutante MASIE GREY jinked violently right at the start and carried the Hannon apparent second string (though backed from 8s to 5s) AJLA completely out the race. AJLA was allowed to come home in her own time and I'll be interested to see where she runs next. In her absence, her stablemate PALAIS GLIDE obliged though she was all out to hold CHRISTMAS ARIA suggesting this wasn't a strong heat.

The Class 3 handicap over ten furlongs saw another huge plunge on FRANCO IS MY NAME (from 11/4 to 6/4) just fail as he was closing at the line but failed to peg back NICE STYLE, who was not unfancied and KING OLAV, for whom this was a welcome return to form. A mention should also be made of THE CAYTERERS who ran very well in fourth.

Back