Lingfield Review 3/10

stodge

At the Start
I went racing this afternoon for what seems the first time in ages. It may have been a moderate card at Lingfield but it was good to be back trackside. A large corporate booking swelled the crowd but I don’t think there was a particularly big crowd of “real” racegoers.

On a cool but generally fine afternoon the card opened with a maiden for juvenile fillies over a mile. After her fifth in the May Hill at Doncaster, UVINZA was strongly fancied to win but while she scored readily enough wasn’t that impressive. She’s not got a turn of foot but she does gallop and it’s clear she is a middle-distance type in the making and I could see her making up into a Ribblesdale type next year.

The proximity of YOUNG DOTTIE (rated 70) rather tempers enthusiasm, however. That said. The second ran well enough to suggest she could win a race over this kind of trip. NEAYEM had shown nothing in two previous outings but ran well in third just in front of IT’S DUBAI DOLLY, who didn’t get the clearest of runs. UVINZA is doubtless better than this and time will tell.

The second race was a seller for 3-y-o over seven furlongs. Most of these looked pretty poor but I CONFESS did nothing wrong and made almost every yard. It was pretty grim stuff as these moderate types battled the strong headwind up the straight and try as he might; BLUES MINOR was never going to get there. DEAL FLIPPER kept on well enough for third but was well held but the main disappointment was ALL IN THE RED, who was never going the early gallop but stayed on up the straight – a step up to a mile might help.

In the post-race auction, connections looked for a moment as they might walk away without a bid but one gentleman got involved and took the winning connections up to 7,200 guineas before conceding.

Race three was a juvenile median auction maiden over five furlongs. These kind of races in October don’t take much winning and these looked another moderate bunch. Three who had shown a little form dominated the market and they duly filled the first three places. CORTON CHAMPAGNE was having only her second run but the drop back in trip from her debut didn’t work at all. She got well outpaced early and kept on in the final furlong without getting near the principals. SATWA STREET broke well from the outside stall and led but was always being tracked by MOSCOW EIGHT and the latter readily asserted in the straight to win cosily. MOSCOW EIGHT is a real speedball and could be an interesting sprint handicapper next year – he will always be at his best on sharp tracks as he barely gets the trip.

The fourth race was a handicap over six furlongs. This looked a trappy heat but favourite SILVANUS threw in a stinker, finishing last. He looks like a five-furlong type and with a little temperament. LOUPHOLE got a right bump at the start which knocked him sideways and while that might have deterred some horses, it probably worked to his advantage as he laid off a strong gallop before coming through in the straight to cut down RUSSIAN REEL in the last few yards to win well. BUY ON THE RED ran ok in third without suggesting his turn was imminent. He got up for that position on the post nosing out FOR LIFE, on whom Natalia Gemelova appeared to ease up a shade early.

Gemelova got a 10-day ban under Rule 156 and once can but hope the apprentice learns a valuable lesson. LOUPHOLE hadn’t won since February 2007 and had eased back in the weights. As is often the case with these older sprinters, he has slipped back to a more comfortable mark but following up under a penalty may not be so easy. RUSSIAN REEL ran his best race since his juvenile days and he may be the type to have a good winter campaign.

Race five was a handicap for 3-y-o over a mile and a half. As befits a card with five Class 6 races and a sole Class 5, this looked a moderate but trappy heat. CONTRADA was strongly fancied following his win at Brighton on Monday but I heard one paddock judge comment he looked nowhere near as good today as he had earlier in the week. He was in the rear early and stayed on at the one pace in the straight. Perhaps this came too soon, I don’t know. SILKY STEPS was close to the pace throughout and went on down the hill and turning for home she looked the likely winner but GRAYLYN RUBY stayed on far too strongly and won handily drawing away close hone.

To be honest, GRAYLYN RUBY hadn’t shown much of late but this was both his debut on the Polytrack and a drop in grade and the combination worked well. I wonder if connections have considered a hurdling campaign but he does seem to need decent ground.

I didn’t stay for the last as Mrs Stodge was cooking dinner. I’m due trackside again at Kempton on Monday October 13th.

I thought it was a really poor ride from Carson on Contrada. He seemed to panic that he was going to get caught behind weakening rivals so ended up switching is mount very wide very early, forfeiting an impossible amount of ground. Obviously a bit of a missed opportunity but think he may start bigger than he should next time if layers overreact to that.

Agreed Luke. I never have anything to add to them but I'd hate stodge to think they're not read.

I thought it was a really poor ride from Carson on Contrada. He seemed to panic that he was going to get caught behind weakening rivals so ended up switching is mount very wide very early, forfeiting an impossible amount of ground.

Was that Stephen Carson? - he's a very poor jockey.
If it was young William, he has a lot to learn esp tactically, only seems to win when things go right for him and the horse is uncomplicated

Rundown much appreciated Stodge. It's a time of year you can get a lot of clues if you look hard enough!

Back