Lough Derg

Another great effort.

I always find it interesting though how horses like him are described as "tough and game". In truth a horse like this is surely a little rogue in the sense he keeps so much for himself and only gives it under maximum request of the whip and driving.

interesting that today he didn't lose the lead...last run was unreal when looked beat

as you say..those days he gets headed and comes again...how much is he downing tools...then running again etc?

i just love his action..he is a real individual

interesting that today he didn't lose the lead...last run was unreal when looked beat

as you say..those days he gets headed and comes again...how much is he downing tools...then running again etc?

i just love his action..he is a real individual

Yeah, and he is a most admirable horse and I did not want to slight him in the least.

But it is interesting how a strong traveller, who is giving his all on the bridle for his rider is called a dog when he struggles to find anything off the bridle (as he is giving his all on it!) yet a horse like Lough Derg is hailed as a genuine type simply because he answers the calls of his jockey but he needs all the effort to drag it out of him so much so it can border on whip abuse at times!!

Just a mind set I guess alot of people have, similar I guess to a more active or vigorous style of riding jockey over say a quieter or more sympathetic style.

He is a bit of a monkey his connections admit that, but he has guts and is such a pleasure to watch. Really pleased for everyone. :)

I can't quite see where you're coming from with this new theory of yours about bridle horses being harder triers than battlers, Gal.

I can see what you're saying but surely the point is that battlers travel well, then when they start to have to pull more out they dig deep, find more and battle. A bridle horse travels well, then when it has to pull out more downs tools and refuses to fight!

There is a difference between a horse who gives all he can on the bridle (I would not necessarily see 'bridle horse' as a derrogatory term) and one which, for whatever reason, doesn't fancy putting his head in front ('ungenuine' would perhaps be the correct term).

Calgary Bay, for example, is perilously close to falling into the latter category after today's run.

I can't quite see where you're coming from with this new theory of yours about bridle horses being harder triers than battlers, Gal.

I can see what you're saying but surely the point is that battlers travel well, then when they start to have to pull more out they dig deep, find more and battle. A bridle horse travels well, then when it has to pull out more downs tools and refuses to fight!

Obviously there are horses that down tool and refuse to fight. But equally there are plenty of horses who are marked down as this type unfairly when they are absolutely giving their all before the whip/driving is applied.

Remove the whip from racing (as some talk about) and the definition of a bridle horse or dog would need revising. For instance, without the whip would Hardy Eustace have fended off Harchibald in that Champion Hurdle? I would have serious doubts if he could of.

Last edited:
Remove the whip from racing (as some talk about) and the definition of a bridle horse or dog would need revising. For instance, without the whip would Hardy Eustace have found off Harchibald in that Champion Hurdle? I would have serious doubts if he could of.

Don't remind me!

But the thing is, that whilst they are on the bridle, they're not having to dig deep since they are travelling so easily within themselves. In battling on there is additional exertion involved, exertion that so called bridle horses don't want to find, since they don't/won't respond to being driven.

I think the point you make is a good one Galileo, and especially so when you think of a horse like Harchibald.

But the thing is, that whilst they are on the bridle, they're not having to dig deep since they are travelling so easily within themselves. In battling on there is additional exertion involved, exertion that so called bridle horses don't want to find, since they don't/won't respond to being driven.

My point is horses often terms as bridle horses or soft horses are simply horses that have nothing else to give when pressure is applied simply because they have given it all genuinely on the bridle or at least before serious pressure is applied. The likes of Lough Derg, Hardy Eustace, Brave Inca (the last named in particular who I have long been a fan) are simply lazy buggers who only give what they need when maximum pressure is applied yet they are categorized as the honest types.

Back