Lucky 15 Query

Flagship uberalles

Journeyman
Hi there,

I did a lucky 15 today, and I've got two up - Tidal Bay and Garde Champetre.

Now here is the problem (perhaps): I wrote down 50p win at the unit stake, but wrote down £15.00 as the total bet stake (I had meant to pay £1.00 unit stake but had been considering doing an e.w. L15 and confused myself).

The bet was taken and I paid £15.00 for it.

Where do I stand regarding payment?

I suspect they'll settle it as a 50p e/w Lucky 15, if you meant to put £1 then it is really your fault. If you kicked off though they'd probably pay you out on a winning lucky 15.

Which bookies was it with?

I would say they would settle it to a £1 lucky 15
if you don't specify ew on the coupon then they can't just 'assume' thats what you meant surely?

That's what I was hoping for - I would imagine they wouldn't give me a refund of £7.50 if they all lost!

I'll go and have a row with them and let you know how I got on :)

I think I would have argued with them about that, I fail to see how they can change your bet, surely the only two options should have been settle it to a £1 lucky 15 (ie exactly the same bet but using the amount you staked) or refund the overstaked amount. If you didn't write EW on the slip then I can't see how they can justify settling it as an EW bet.
Its not the computer anyway, its the operator who input it, and it can be changed.

I did ask the manager of my local WH about this last night and he said he would have settled it as a £1 L15, but if ou came in and said the it was meant to be 50p ew then he would likely have changed it for you

Aboslutely, DVDS. You cannot alter ew terms - if the bet is stated win, then it should be settled as win. Ditto each way. For example had the bet been written as £1ew L15 and staked at £15 then it would be settled pro-rata, as 50p ew. When overstaking the same theories are applied.

If they don't settle it as a £1 win L15 FU then dispute it. I would have settled it at £1 win L15 and they should do the same. Read their betting rules - and "it's the computer" is crap. What that means is that a lazy cashier when translating the bet on the computer couldn't be bothered to think about it and typed in 50p ew rather than asking and translating it correctly as £1 win. Besides, the computer can always be over-ridden so that is a lie in itself.

That's the two options I would have thought most likely, with the most likely one being the £1 L15. After all, if all 4 had lost, and I had asked for a refund on the £7.50 as it was only a 50p win L15, they wouldn't have given it back in a month of Sundays - they would have accepted it as the £1 win L15 which it was.

Reasons for not disputing it at the time:

1. Queue of about 30 people behind me.

2. The teller looked like he had the IQ of a chimp and was barely capable of speech. If I had have got all 4 up and it was a more substantial amount, I'd have argued the toss out but I just couldn't be arsed making a scene.

Fair enough FU but worth going in and disputing it now. They have everything on computer and you were underpaid. The bet should have been settled pro rata.

I work in a bookies, and the correct procedure would be to settle the bet in proportion.

In this case it would have been settled to 200% which would have been worked to a £1 win Lucky 15.

I wouldn't go back to that bookies, they seem right shirkers.

Back