M. D. Squance?

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Does anyone know anything about this gentleman?

He trains at Newmarket and has had one winner from four runners, the winner was ridden by Jamie Spencer at Lingfield.

In the absence of any other information - my friend saw him at Lingfield and said he was a "funny little man wearing a coat with velvet lapels" norty

He was Assistant to Phil McEntee according to the RP cuttings section, and partner to the owner of Premier Baron in the yard, owned by his partner Tracey Fitzgerald. Premier Baron was killed in a handicap at Nmkt in 2002.

the horse and Squance were formerly with Pat Mitchell: from report, Sandown 1999
<< Premier Baron produced the biggest celebrations of the day when landing a 14-1 success in the seven-furlong handicap under Gary Carter.
Although trained by Pat Mitchell, ending a 296-day winnerless run, it is one of his lads Michael Squance, who got the accolades, as he takes out the gelding at 5am each day before going to work.
The winner is owned by his girlfriend Tracey Fitzgerald, who said: "That's my first winner. We have had him two years with lots of vets bills and operations."
Squance, who took the 16-1 morning price, added: "He's had knee problems and I can't believe it's happened." >>

In 2005 he passed Level 3 at the BRS, and took a job with Paul Howling as Assistant and was there three years.

From yesterday's RP:

<< IT WAS certainly a day to remember for first-season trainer Michael Squance, who saddled his first winner, at the fourth attempt, thanks to his four-year-old Hessian in the 7f handicap.
Given a fine ride from off the pace by Jamie Spencer, she hung under pressure in the final two furlongs and needed all of her rider's strength to prevail.
The winning trainer could not hide his joy afterwards and said: "I am obviously delighted with that! Natalia Gemelova was going to ride, but wrote off her car on the way down here, so we asked Jamie to ride and he has done it perfectly."
Squance is on the lookout for more owners, and he added: "I have only had my licence for two months and only have six horses - but our runners will always be trying." >>

Originally posted by Headstrong@Apr 11 2008, 06:02 PM
"I have only had my licence for two months and only have six horses - but our runners will always be trying." >>
However will he get them well handicapped? :eek:

Does anyone else find it ironic that the phrases "Phil McEntee's assistant" and "always trying" are not only used in the same thread but applied to the same person?!?!

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Apr 11 2008, 08:57 PM
Does anyone else find it ironic that the phrases "Phil McEntee's assistant" and "always trying" are not only used in the same thread but applied to the same person?!?!
Doesn't every trainer try all the while?

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Apr 11 2008, 08:57 PM

Ironic ain't innit... I can think of other words! :rolleyes:

Still, we'd better give the feller a chance...

Back