Marcel Bousacc

Warbler

At the Start
In the last few years this has proven to be the informative fillies race of the 2yo season, and I think the favourite is sitting there ready to be taken down by a squandron French fillies. I've been half bemoaning all season that I'm yet to catch a 2yo putting up the types of figures that Natagora, FB, and Zarkava have in recent years (I'll gloss over Evening Time!!!). So with no fast times to work off, I've been reduced to loking at 'very' slow times. The theory is simple. A horse that wins a race with a rating 25% below par is either a complete dog (hence the slow time) or is at least blessed with a turn of foot, which can of course belie an element of class. In today's renewal there are 4 who've recorded times 50% below par,

Copperbeach 35.41
2nd - Go Lovely Rose 34.41
3rd - Pill 33.66
Palme Royale 48.00

At 88.00 I'm more inclined to dismiss Gp3 winner Elusive Wave. Go Lovely Rose was beaten on merit I suspect, although Pill was denied a run and might be nearer to Copperbeach as a result. Indeed, she won NTO, as indeed the 4th home did. Palme Royale's race isn't working out as well and tenuous lines through Pill to Australian Airline (worst name for a horse ever?) and Volsora indicate she's getting on for being 10L's inferior. She did however go from 4th to 1st earning the comment "quickend to lead 1f out, easily". I think there's probably enough potential bandits on your side to take Again on with?

I was disappointed with Again in the Moyglare, and while I think she is capable of better over this trip and further ease in the going I am going to oppose her with Copperbeech who looks a very smart prospect.

I'm sure you'd like to point out that this years Bousacc appears to have been won in a time a full one second quicker than last years:)

Haven't been able to get the going corrections through to see if the variance was assisting (strongly suspect it was) but will be interesting to see what comparable rating I can come up with

Mme Head-Maarek says:

"I have always had faith in her. The first time she ran in Deauville I thought she was a very good filly, she was my best and I thought she would win that race.

"She didn't understand what we asked her at Deauville. She was green, then I ran her again and she won very well at Chantilly.

"I asked the Prince if he would let me run her here and I think we did the right thing.

"She'll be entered in the 1000 Guineas and she will tell me what to do. She's the boss

If she goes to Newmarket she`s the likeliest winner imo. Fingers crossed.

Yeah I would certainly prefer her as an antepost bet to the current favourite anyway. Head-Maarek is top class as well so no worries in that regard.

Six Perfections, Divine Proportions, Finsceal Beo and Zarkava from the last 6 runnings before today.

The other two were Denebola, who didn't quite get there at 3 (although finished second in the Foret) and Rumplestiltskin, who never got past the downpour 1000 Guineas of 2006 at 3.

Timeform ratings for their Boussac victories:
Six Perfections - 120
Denebola - 113+
Divine Proportions - 113+
Rumplestiltskin - 111+
Finsceal Beo - 118
Zarkava - 115+

It`s clear that anything around 115 would make Proportional the leading contender. Divine Proportions was actually rated 119 after her 2 yo career, two pounds higher than Zarkava. The four Gareth highlighted either did, would or should have won the 1000 Guineas. There was a question on the BF forum earlier on asking what is the most gutted you`ve been after a race and my answer would have been the 2003 1000 Guineas. Devastating.

Another poor race yesterday
Anything of the first 4 in the fillies Mile would have won yesterdays race.

If I was to follow one o.ut of that it would be the 4th Plumania she was stopped 5 times and ran on with great zest

Last edited:
Proportional is clearly smart but she may be slightly flattered. It was a strange race in a number of ways. Nothing came from the rear and Again and Pill, drawn widest of all, were never remotely competitive. Again's pacemaker lasted an amazingly long time and was still second 75 yards out. One or two ran very freely and Please Sing in particular pulled so hard as to be almost unrideable in the first half of the race. Nobody seems to have picked up on that although McGrath did make reference in commentary to the amount of shouting from the jockeys. Please Sing's antics made it difficult for the fillies on her inside and I suspect Dettori on Copperbeech and Peslier on Plumania started their runs from much further back than they would have liked.

What I liked a lot about Proportional is that her physical shape and her breeding strongly suggest she'll improve a lot over the coming months.

Her breeding strongly suggest to me that she will progress well at 3, and if I were having an antepost on her it would be for the Oaks (or rather the Diane) rather than the Guineas. There is a lot of stamina in her pedigree, with both Sadlers Wells and Generous as grand-sires

Last edited:
Very good performance on the clock, I'd rather be backing her at 10s for the Guineas ahead of Rainbow View.

On my figures so far, the French have the best 2 year old filly and colt.

Back