Master Minded

Wasn`t the ground a bit soft for him today?

I think his performance in the QM last year is the jumps equivalent of Hawk Wing`s Lockinge. Taken at face value and rating the race through Where or When you could have conceivably rated HW 140+. No one was that daft of course. Only with MM they were. Particulary the RP.

Dissapointing this season in general
I think the horse is a monster but there must be a problem there.

I think his performance in the QM last year is the jumps equivalent of Hawk Wing`s Lockinge.

And so it begins... :D

I would just lean towards Gal's view that 186 was possibly a shade high with the benefit of hindsight (though it's difficult, as we all know, to overstate how impressive he was that day). On the other hand, he's certainly a far better horse than he showed today.

He's still only 6 isn't he?

Prior to last season only one horse in the Champion Chases history had won it as a 6yo, and no 5yo ever had. All things being equal and good health permitting (which of course they never are in racing) he could win 5 or even 6 champion chases yet, and then lets see how history judges him. For such time as he dominates the division, there has to be a chance that he's going to scare a few challengers away to the now upgraded Ryanair too?

He should have his better years ahead of him still.

Half of me is left wondering if there isn't a bit of a less than veiled attempt to try and defend Moscow Flyers place on the Pantheon of greatness, and the only way of doing this now, is to try and downgrade Masterminded. Assess him in 2013 and we'll see.

Last edited:
We shouldn't imagine that Master Minded is somehow immature; sure he's only 6, but he's definitely reached his peak. The challenge with him is keeping that ability intact through a period of several seasons, which in fairness, Paul Nicholls has shown a talent for. Last year's Champion was an optical illusion, but his Ascot win this year showed that he's a cut above the rest right now. He's just a bit vulnerable at this time of year apparently. The Best Mate approach may be his best way forward in terms of establishing greatness.

I think that Timeform, and not the handicapper, had it about right last year when they rated Master Minded the third best chaser in training.

The staying chasers have been consistently the better horses for the past few seasons.

He is doubtless an outstanding 2 mile chaser.

But I think it is more impressive to beat Azertyuiop and a young Well Chief by a few lengths than Voy Por by 20l.

not sure about that BTB

can see what you are saying..but 20 lengths is a lot against a decent marker

a marker don't have to be a great when beaten by 20..but voy por is no mug

From the Guardian:

1.50pm Master Minded - down 8lb on last year!

On the subject of the need for perspective in assessing a horse, the official handicappers now accept they may have been overenthusiastic in giving Master Minded a rating of 186 last year, after his devastating victory in Cheltenham's Champion Chase. This year, he is down to 178, having won the same race in less impressive style and almost been beaten by Big Zeb at Punchestown.

Phil Smith accepted that his team may have ignored warning signs last year that 186 was too high. As it is, 178 is the third-highest rating for a two-mile chaser in the last decade, behind Master Minded last year and Moscow Flyer in 2004/05.

One arguable anomaly is the fact that Big Zeb is rated 162, more than a stone behind Master Minded, who held him off by only a head when they met in Ireland. The handicappers seem satisfied that Master Minded ran a long way below his best that day and Noel O'Brien pointed out that this is the second time in a row that he has been disappointing on his final run of the season.

Meanwhile, Smith noted the lack of strength among two-mile chasers just now, with no sign of a credible challenger to the champion. Well Chief, returning from injury, was given a rating of 163 for his second place in the Champion Chase, whereas he had run to 178 when second to Moscow Flyer in the same race four years ago.

be intresting to see kalahari king step up to the queen mother thought he ran a top class race at sandown comming second to twist magic even with injurying himself at the 1st fence.

Back