Matt Chapman (Commentary 7.10 Galway)

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

That was the best commentary I've heard in a while. I've never heard him do a race on SIS before.

He's had to call quite a few from the booth when the voice link's gone - always very clear and you've no doubt as to which horse is where. Often quite funny at the end about some of the more hopeless cases.

It's well worth going onto AtTheRaces website and watching the replay. He was shouting for punters to form an orderly queue and saying Galway raceamuse has its very own ATM machine - Dermot Weld.

Last edited:
No, cloth ears, he was shouting for them to NOT form an orderly queue! Good fun.

What's a 'raceamuse', dearest? I think all courses should have one, whatever it is.

I think Chappers is having his summer hols in Galway, isn't he? Must be earning a few Euros doing the calls to offset any bar bills!

Last edited:
Each to their own I suppose - I thought it was unadulterated shite aimed primarily at drawing attention to himself, which is his stock-in-trade. God forbid he gets the place on the roster here - we'd have yee-haas in every other race.

I like him, hes a bit of craic, not to be taken too seriously. When you consider the image Big Mac portrays to the younger audience, the people that the industry is supposedly trying to attract, Id know who I would have on television at every oppurtunity out of the two.

I like him, hes a bit of craic, not to be taken too seriously. When you consider the image Big Mac portrays to the younger audience, the people that the industry is supposedly trying to attract, Id know who I would have on television at every oppurtunity out of the two.

Much better to have neither !

No problem with it for one offs, but isn't he training to get on the commentators roster? We all know how much everyone likes to moan about Lee Mackenzie and Mark Johnson. A 7-race card from Chappers Galyway style? Mute all the way for me.

If you listen to Sir Peter O'Sullevan in his pomp nobody else comes close - combination of speed, diction and controlling the tension is masterly.

If you listen to Sir Peter O'Sullevan in his pomp nobody else comes close - combination of speed, diction and controlling the tension is masterly.
Of course, he went on about 15 years too long, but I'd prefer to hear him calling the wrong horses in his mellifluous tones to several of those listed above. DJ's right - as a one off, it's possible to stomach the Galway commentary (just), but he's seeking a permanent role in the UK, and the chilling thought is that he's use the same style 24/7. Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!

As a younger member of the racing audience I have to say Chapman makes me laugh, more in a partridge kind of way than anything else but lurking underneath all that is quite a shrewd and analytical mind. He's no mug.

I'm a massive fan of Nick Luck at the same time so I like both ends of the spectrum in terms of style but they have to have insight which I think they both deliver. I've never heard Chapman commentate though, apart from in the booth when the links have gone down.

What's wrong with him? He's knowledgeable, insightful and an excellent presenter. Public school boy he may be but shit presenter he is not.

Of course, he went on about 15 years too long, but I'd prefer to hear him calling the wrong horses in his mellifluous tones to several of those listed above. DJ's right - as a one off, it's possible to stomach the Galway commentary (just), but he's seeking a permanent role in the UK, and the chilling thought is that he's use the same style 24/7. Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!

I think he went on about five years too long rather than fifteen- .As just one example , his commentary on the 1986 Gold Cup is fantastic .

Apart from the 1995 Irish derby he did not make egregious errors like Cattermole - the worst of which I recall being his naming of Khyber Kim when winning on his debut as a 100-1 outsider instead

Last edited:
Who actually listens to the commentary. On another thread Del Boy mentions reaching to rip up his ticket when the commentator called the wrong horse in front (a daily feature in Irish commentary). I was never in doubt to what horse it was.

Who actually listens to the commentary. On another thread Del Boy mentions reaching to rip up his ticket when the commentator called the wrong horse in front (a daily feature in Irish commentary). I was never in doubt to what horse it was.

A Fair point, i rarely listen to commentary, I will have the colours in my head, or the number of the horse Im thinking off, possibly of the danger to my selection two, and will be mentally taking a pull, telling the jockey, "Not yet....dont go yet....not yet.....ah too late..."

I can't get off the forum there days. It's like not watching neighbours of the punting world. I'm petrified on missing out on the latest falling out, killing or dodgy dealing.

Back