Men's Sheds

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
This only occurred to me last night.

I belong to a local Men's Shed and I thought it was just that, a local thing.

But it turns out it's a worldwide thing. One of our guys is in Oz at the moment visiting family but it turns out he touched base over there with a local Men's Shed and gave them a wee gift on behalf of our Shed.

So I was thinking [for once, I hear you say]... I know I'm not the oldest guy on here and was wondering if anyone else is a member of a local Shed?

And if so, how active is it? What kind of things do you do?

I joined my local shed with a view to learning woodwork but the workshop was out of commission at the time and I was asked if I played an instrument or sang. When I told them I did the odd karaoke turn they asked me to sing something - which the musicians were quick to tune into and accompany me - and next thing I know I'm a member of the Shed music group (we call ourselves Simply Shed).

So, anyone out there belong to a Shed or anything similar? It might be an idea to share thoughts/ideas etc.

Meantime, this was me the other night doing backing vocals to a Drifters' medley :lol:

gig 1.jpg

Last edited:
Is it a mens version of the WI ? Sounds like it might be similar? That’s awesome that it’s all over the world [emoji3]

I got banned from even THINKING about joining our village WI when they were talking about restarting one - apparently they are concerned I’d be encouraging the naked calendars and inappropriate villlage events [emoji15][emoji15]

( been there, done that for the calendar - but I did think we could put on a Christmas show and record the songs for a CD maybe….)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I would have no personal knowledge of the WI but if you think it sounds similar then it probably is :)

We "perform" in care homes, nursing homes and at other local fundraising events. I'm half-expecting Dignitas to sign us up to make their job easier.

I honestly don't think my own Shed group would be asked to appear naked in a lightless room let alone on a calendar but judge for yersel'... (I'm peeking out from the back on the right)

shed.jpg

Last edited:
Dunno about a shed but I've got a self designed and built summer house that my parents like to refer to as my Wendy house!

Never heard of men's sheds though.

Not far at all, the missus advises me that there is one in kirkmuirhill but being anti-social it wouldn't really be my thing. I have enough of a struggle to go to events in the village I live in (I say village, it's actually a collection of 12 houses)!!

Yes, I was aware of the Kirkmuirhill Shed, simmo. There might even have been some of its members at our gig on Saturday. South Lanarkshire seems to have quite a growing network of well-supported Sheds.

Ours, Hamilton, East Kilbride, Coatbridge, Kirkmuirhill, Carluke, Bellshill (OK, that's North Lanarkshire, but only just), are ones that I've heard of already.

Have looked into this but the nearest one to me is in Milton Keynes which is 30 miles away.

I thought my engineering knowledge might be useful but I'm not strong enough to do much now.

Yes, it's a welcome couple of hours' break from the domestic situation, granger.

Another gig on Wednesday of this week in a care home in East Kilbride but I've got my Covid & flu jabs tomorrow and I'm hearing they can knock you sideways.

Back