Milne Graden

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I went down to the bookie's to see this race but unfortunately the pictures broke up and I only saw the first six or seven furlongs and the replay of the last half-furlong.

I wasn't happy watching the early part of the race. The pace seemed moderate yet the jockey (Queally?) had MG anchored at the back, a good 15 legnths off the pace. I thought if the horse was good enough to win from the position he was being ridden extremely confidently otherwise the jockey was making a huge mistake, while the pessimist in me was convinced of the latter.

What did anyone else think of the ride?

found nothing late on and was 4l off the leader 2f out, by Montjeu, the ground prob too quick, and on his finishing position near on level with Formax he has run to form, not unlucky at all, just not good enough.

It was the sort of ride you might imagine a horse getting that is already high enough in the weights to get in a race worth 10 times as much as the one he was contesting today, and you want to find out if he'll get the trip.

found nothing late on and was 4l off the leader 2f out.

But he must have made up a lot of ground in a short space while the others were in full flight to get that close so it's no wonder he didn't find any more.

Yes, I'm talking through my pocket... a big hole in my pocket.

(Thankfully, Yamal saved my bacon for the day.)

I disagree about him not finding more. think he got the trip absolutely fine but ended up with far too much to do.

It was the sort of ride you might imagine a horse getting that is already high enough in the weights to get in a race worth 10 times as much as the one he was contesting today, and you want to find out if he'll get the trip.

LOL!! Time will tell...

I maintain that it's almost impossible to win at Goodwood from way off the pace, so the horse was def given too much to do, for whatever reason. There's also the consideration that big long-striding horses just don't like undulating tracks - not sure if he comes into this category, I didn't see the race

But it's a meeting at which owners dearly love to have a runner, the O&T bar def being the place to be - so yes, some horses may not be here to win, but mainly to provide a few badges - and may be being 'looked after' for another day

But he must have made up a lot of ground in a short space while the others were in full flight to get that close so it's no wonder he didn't find any more.

Yes, I'm talking through my pocket... a big hole in my pocket.

(Thankfully, Yamal saved my bacon for the day.)

Be honest with you, No. He came into it easily, they went slow and to be honest they didn't quicken until 3.5f out when he was no more than 8l off the pace, going well enough. Okay granted he could have finished a bit closer, but he wouldn't have been in the first three, even if he sat much closer. He was in 7th at the furlong pole, within hailing distance of 5th and still couldn't get past them. Hype horse imo

Back