Monday's Racing

Flame

At the Start
Thirsk
GOOD TO SOFT (Soft in places) (Dry initially but largely cloudy with light rain developing; gentle south-easterly winds)
Stalls: Straight course - Stands' side; Round course – Inside

Our best bet today comes in the form of Peter Chapple-Hyam’s KAROUSH. The Gone West colt ran in a very hot race on debut chasing home group performer Aqlaam and impressive Goodwood maiden winner Round The Cape. The Gone West colt had previously been impressing at home and ran a pleasing race. Chapple-Hyam’s 3yos are always ones to catch on their second day at school and Karoush looked a classy prospect cantering all over useful handicapper Don’t Panic on Friday morning. I don’t think this horse will have the bookies ducking for cover today as he is likely to be a shortish price but there are few better 4/7 shots than this and in my opinion he is a penalty kick, lets just hope John Terry doesn’t take it. At long odds don’t be surprised to see Mighty Alfred place. He has been showing signs of encouragement at home and is better than a 25/1 shot.

Windsor
GOOD TO SOFT (Good in places; GoingStick 7.2) (Cloudy with showers for a while, possibly heavy and thundery; gentle easterly winds)
Stalls: Inside (Straight course divided between 6f & 3 1/2f; Racing stand's side)

Prolific lived up to his name on debut spread eagling a smart maiden field, but there was plenty of inexperienced types in behind and its hard to know just what was in behind him that day. Danehill Destiny however looked impressive in her maiden at Newmarket and won as she liked beating subsequent winners. She has looked top gear on the gallops since and bounded clear of some fair sorts recently. Having bypassed the Hilary Needler the Danehill Dancer filly can book her place in the Queen Mary here this evening.

I don’t like this race at all but I have been told Barry Hills rates Porthole up near the best of his colts and that he has wintered very well. The maiden he was 3rd in on debut worked out very well in the end and with his reported improvement also boding well, he should have too much in hand of what looked average newcomers from the Newmarket area.

Leicester
GOOD (Good to soft in places; GoingStick 7.3) (Mostly cloudy with showery rain, mostly in the afternoon; light easterly winds)
Stalls: 6f & 7f - Far side; Round course – Inside

Just feel Excape can round up the sequence of three here. I've had big bets on this the last twice and the ground shouldn't bother him here. At 15/2 he is massively overpriced and this trip has seen a marked improvement. He looks good each way for me.

I've had a £10 win Lucky 15, plus £5 Ew split stakes acca.

Good Luck

Good stuff Chris.

A decent sprint in Naas today, Tax Free is down as the favourite but I think Contest and The Loan Express (back to 5 furlongs) have more improvement to come. Between the two of them I think.

In the two year old race Cool Tarifa returns. She won the first race for two year olds in Ireland and looked impressive. Slight worry that she is only running again now but she should be a decent price.

I was impressed with Bolger's 2yo first time and I know Mick Channon isn't taking Moss Likely over as he didn't want to run against it.

That would say something to me, whats your opinion on that horse Gal ?

She (Cuis Ghaire) was one I mentioned on here before. Very impressed with her first time out, for a daughter of Galileo to be winning so early in the year and over six furlongs is impressive. A worthy favourite and likely to be very hard to beat, but she will surely be better when stepped up in trip.

The fly in the ointment is the Ballydoyle filly Empress Of France. She was their first string in a maiden at Naas...but she disappointed.Ballydoyle second string that day ran much better and finished third before going on to win the Marble Stakes last weekend. If Empress Of France is indeed better than Heart Shaped she is probably the one they all have to beat.

But like I said, at the prices Cool Tarifa just swings it for me, though I really do respect the Bolger filly.

Cheers for that;

For Channon to run scared it must be smart, but with the cost of diesel you don't want to go anywhere to come 2nd.

Just back from the races...got to love the way Cuis Ghaire went about that. Lovely filly in the parade ring as well.

Cheers, Chris.

Just looking at the entries, have a feeling there could be a couple of decent 2yo types introduced this week.

Indeed trackside, some well touted sorts entered up this week at Leopardstown, Tipperary and The Curragh.

I like Sonny red today on this ground.I took 7.6 a few minutes ago, good to see he is been backed.

Back