Morgiana Hurdle

Guest_

At the Start
Bobs Pride 11,10 D. K. Weld Casey, D.J.
Clopf 11,10 E. J. O'Grady McNamara, Andrew J.
Ebaziyan 11,10 W.P. Mullins Condon, D.J.
Farmer Brown 11,10 P. Hughes Russell, D.N.
Harchibald 11,10 Noel Meade Carberry, P.
Jazz Messenger 11,10 Noel Meade Barry, J.R.
Macs Joy 11,10 Mrs John Harringto Geraghty, B.J.
Newmill 11,10 John Joseph Murphy Power, R.M.

No Iktitaf but its still looks a cracking race.

Disappointing news, would have been interesting to see how good he actually was. Plenty of rain due here for the weekend.

There isn't the grand plan in NH like there is in Flat racing, where there are more obvious targets for the top horses and their absence is noted. Being out for a couple of weeks is not deemed newsworthy unless Cheltenham is missed because of it, it probably happens far more regularly than during the flat season.

A really good race in prospect.

Harchibald making his first start for a while. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for him and he can recapture his best form during the season. A fit and in form Harchibald would be a great addition to the main hurdle races later in the season. I feel this could be a good season for Macs Joy without Iktitaf & Brave Inca around and I fancy him for this race. Although, I have seen a few people mention Clopf as being a dark horse for the Champion Hurdle. I know very little about him and so I'm anxious to see how he gets on in this race against very decent oppisition.

Isn`t Macs Joy on the decline now though? Would seem to be layable to me. I`ve taken 66/1 on Harchibald for the Champion so i`m hopeful of a good run.

Wouldn't suit Harchibald for sure..

Shaping up to be a cracking contest.. will be interesting to see how Clopf measures up.. thought Ebaziyan ran a nice comeback race at Down Royal and I might just lean towards him..

Macs Joy is a pretty short price if there is a lot of rain in the ground.

I had been hoping for around 8/1 Ebazaiyan, but it seems everybody read his Down Royal race the same as me; he looks well capable of improving a lot.

No bet for me. But I am really looking forward to it.

How soft is it? Macs Joy should be able to hold these if everything was in his favour.

But is it genuinely gd-yld?

There were a few in there that were not knocked around notably the two ex-novices Clopf and Ebaziyan.

Money beforehand was onimous for the chances of Jazz Messenger. Hard to think he could win a Champion Hurdle though.

I thought Sizing Australia did it well in the Greatwood today in desperate conditions. Interesting to see where he goes next.

What makes anyone think that the ground was unsuitable for Macs Joy?

Arguably his best effort was when winning the Irish Champion Hurdle in 2005, on officially Heavy (and at least as soft as today judged on times) going.

Originally posted by eric c@Nov 18 2007, 08:53 PM
Sizing Europe you mean---will go for AIG.

Written up by the way a few weeks ago by your old friend NICK MORDIN.
But surely Osana in second giving 6Ibs was the winner?

In which case, he's gone someway to confirming my rating/ impression that he was the best 2 mile novice hurdler going into Cheltenham before Pipe re-routed him to the County hurdle where he would have come 3rd had he raced off levels instead of having to give weight to all those who finished ahead of him apart from Arcalis and Crow Wood. He followed up at Aintree running another fast time that eclipsed his Wincanton effort, and was typical of the sort that would be indicative of his ability of being able to compete in open company next season. The problem being though, he was beaten fair and square (albeit narrowly) at Aintree by Blythe Knight in the fastest novice hurdle race of the year. Only about 2 or 3 horses can break the 100 mark I use as novices and on the limited sample I have, they nearly always prove capable of making the jump into open company the following season. Those who've been winning races with a 'jog and sprint' routine invariably can't, as the first time they're asked to go tape to post, they often don't have the stamina necessary to run a fast time. Remember fast times are run by going through the sections in a consistent fashion and distributing energy evenly throughout the complete race distance. They aren't run by going slow and then sprinting clear, however visually impressive such winners might look. Most novices get caught out the festival, as it's often the first time they're asked to race in this hitherto alien fashion, and are therefore going into uncharted water (and often art a prohibitively short price based on visuallly impressive trials). This year was an exception. Ebaziyan had proved his ability to win a race in Ireland with a slow rating. Unfortunately for me, 2007 proved to be one of those years, as he won the slowest Supreme I hold a record for. I expect him to get caught out this year

It is essentially stamina that ensures a horse can run a fast time and not speed. What you often get at the pinnacle of the 2 mile division is something that can run a sequence of sections, show a brief turn of foot (speed/ acceleration) and then maintain that advantage (stamina). Although you get the occasional slow renewal, invariably its horses that can run in this way, that reach the apex of the division, as so few of their rivals are able match them.

W---Is 1lb=1length in N.H.??
Sizing was going away at he end--Timmy was brilliant.
Osana---on whom there was a rather large e.w. bet @8/1--- will he go for Arkle or Champion hurdle??
Much to look forward to!!

The figure I've got is 1.1Ibs = 1L at 2 miles, but this will be exaggerated slightly in softer in ground. It is of course always possible that the top weight would be more inconvenienced on the ground and this might present a possible explanation to take in the County Hurdle rather than the Supreme, although Segal did come out with a more scurrilous suggestion such was the apparent illogical choice of 2007 target. It could be that Osana is more ground dependent than realised? but I'm far from convinced hte evidence exists yet to really support this

Back