Naas Today

Guest_

At the Start
I have taken J'y Vole on today for a few reasons. She had a really hard race the last day plus her jumping on a left handed course is a worry. Plus she does not get as much of a weight allowance now that she has won a Grade 1.

I like the look of Casey Jones. Granted he is inexperienced but this trip should be perfect and he was always likely to be a better chaser than hurdler. Take a chance with him.

I had a feeling she would be beat today. Strange decision to run her again so soon. She was out on her feet crossing the line.

Originally posted by Garney@Feb 24 2008, 05:00 PM
any credit for the winner?
He did it well today but it goes back to his earlier form....what did he beat? But credit I suppose where its due, he did it well.

Connections were obviously keen to take on the fav again. I think it was his best performance todate today, and is clearly very smart. He jumped better today and showed a proper turn of foot when asked to win his race, going clear of both the second (who was held up) and Jyvole.

If Jyvole was freshened up and took on Thyne Again in a month, I know who I'd be siding with.

He is hardly all hype.

It's all relative Garney, he is clearly a useful type but to me he is not a Grade 1 performer which is what we look for in a novice with the future in mind.

You say he showed a proper turn of foot, I think it was more a case of the mare falling in a hole. She clearly didn't run to form while the second (who was being niggled after passing the post for the first time) just ran on through tired/beaten horses.

Thyne Again of course has won a Grade 1. Mght be a bit tripless as a novice but he has scope to stay 3 which would make him interesting next year.

I know you and Bobbyjo are sweet on the horse. I remain to be convinced.

Another race at Naas today saw Coolcashlin win the novice hurdle race as well. He was well beaten behind Cooldine the last day and that Willie Mullins horse strikes me as having a really similar profile to one of Mullins' leading novice hurdlers from last year Black Harry.

That one took a while to open his account over hurdles but really impressed when getting a stamina test. Cooldine could develop into an interesting outsider for the 3 mile novice hurdle if he is aimed at that.

Was impressed with Thyne Again today, though the jury really remains out on him to a large degree as outside of J'yvole (who was over the top), it certainly wasn't a strong race by any means. Were he to go to the Arkle his jumping would still be a worry for me.

Very dissapointed again with Woodbine Willie today. Always travels in his races but hasn't found much off the bridle again today. Wouldn't dismiss him just yet though as Fenton's yard havn't been right of late, despite a winner yesterday (I would be slightly wary of the O'Grady yard at the moment as well) and he would probably prefer better ground. That said, he certainly has questions to answer now.

Proximity of Ballytrim (who was a crazy price) says a lot about the form of that race really.

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 24 2008, 04:23 PM
Another race at Naas today saw Coolcashlin win the novice hurdle race as well. He was well beaten behind Cooldine the last day and that Willie Mullins horse strikes me as having a really similar profile to one of Mullins' leading novice hurdlers from last year Black Harry.
Coolcashin left his previous form well behind today, I reckon Galileo. He's been ridden from the front in all his previous races, and I think this is definitely a case of improved form for being held-up.

I'd exercise caution before going to strong on the level of Cooldines form, based on their previous meeting - Coolcashin was a different horse today.

Comprehensively turned around early-season form with Woodbine Willie today as well. Didn't look to be finishing his races at all earlier in the year but looked a different horse today alright.

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 24 2008, 03:27 PM
I had a feeling she would be beat today. Strange decision to run her again so soon. She was out on her feet crossing the line.
Far be it from me to take the mantle of "Mullins Defender" however I would say that he has farmed the Novice chases in Ireland with two talented mares this season. He has shrewdly taken advantage of the massive weight concession afforded 4/5 year olds as well as the mares allowance.

He has been very reticent to commit J'Vole in particular to Cheltenham, and she is on figures at least the superior of the two mares. Is this reticence born of a realisation that neither mare will be able to improve once they are unable to receive such favourable terms either in England or next season? Perhaps today's quick run after her last victory implies Mullins wants to take as much advanatge as possible whilst the weight advantage is available and that he wants to get as much black type as possible on home turf with a few to her paddock value?

Originally posted by trackside528@Feb 24 2008, 06:53 PM
Comprehensively turned around early-season form with Woodbine Willie today as well. Didn't look to be finishing his races at all earlier in the year but looked a different horse today alright.
I won quite a bit on Coolcashin last season and was piqued I hadn't back him today :what:
Very glad to see him dot up though.

there may be somethingin useful's surmise regarding Mullins' campaigning of J'y Vole but I was sorry to see her out again today in another demanding race and empty like that. The race wil leave a mark, and i don't think it's a good way to use horses. Anyone who has backed her for Cheltenham [not I] will have the devil's job laying off now I'd think.

I was quite impressed with Thyne Again but I haven;t been able to watch as much Irish racing this year as last, so I'm not sure what I'm watching, and value the opinions on here to sort the horses out.

Gawd doesn't Drunken Disorderly live up to his name?? What was that crazy lepp all about?
I really thought he was in with a chance there, and he threw it all away again :eek:

Originally posted by trackside528@Feb 24 2008, 06:33 PM
I would be slightly wary of the O'Grady yard at the moment as well
did he not train Fen Game to win at the weekend?

On woodbine Willie, david duggan made an interesting point that he thought two mils on better ground would suit him more as he travels well but doesnt seem to see out his races.

Based on how Big Zeb came out of the Moriarty I'd say J'Vole was def feeling the effects and she drifted accordingly. I'm sure Mullins thought she was ok before the race but she seemed to sweat up a little and when push came to shove she found zilch. Her jumping is still very good though.

And a nice gamble landed in the bumper, although his claiming rider didn't really help matters. Clearly he has ridden a few winners as was only claiming five but he was all over the place in the last furlong. Must have had a few bob on himself judged by the way he was punching the air!

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 24 2008, 05:23 PM
That one took a while to open his account over hurdles but really impressed when getting a stamina test. Cooldine could develop into an interesting outsider for the 3 mile novice hurdle if he is aimed at that.
Really caught the eye today. I know these gallops are hard to work out but for such a good stayer I thought he was eye catching against some smart types. Worry is he might go to Thurles instead on Thursday!

Back