Navan Today

Bobbyjo

At the Start
Good racing today folks,

Any thoughts?

Looking forward to Pomme Tiepy v Kilcrea Castle again,

Serious test for Clopf in the first

Aitmatov can prove the well being or otherwise of the Meade horses in the Boyne Hurdle. Needs to improve from the AIG significantly. I like Alexander Taipan at around 8/1.

God that was gutting! Is Clopf OK?? - and the Budgee? Have no pics...

Really thought for a moment our TTF lists were going to get a nice boost there...
And what was wrong with Scots Irish?

the Budgee did get up but looked to be a swinger to me

Would be a shame for Michael Junior to lose his flagship horse

Clopf still not seeing out his races....tired fall I thought even if he probably would have just held on. Scotsirish must have made a bad mistake out of camera shot. A strongly run two miles is probably what he needs given the way he stayed on. Not good enough to figure in Arkle though

Originally posted by sunybay@Feb 17 2008, 02:25 PM
I imagine The Budgee put down.
cry What a shame for connections, so promising. He won me a nice pot lto too.

Nick Shambouros picked the winner of the last at Navan - he really is amazing... I stuck to Aitmatov sadly
Tho he's now shaking his head and asking what on earth Geraghty was doing looking over his shoulder when he was right against the rails :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Feb 17 2008, 03:27 PM
Clopf still not seeing out his races....tired fall I thought even if he probably would have just held on. Scotsirish must have made a bad mistake out of camera shot. A strongly run two miles is probably what he needs given the way he stayed on. Not good enough to figure in Arkle though
Disagree, I thought Clopf for he first time this season was finding plenty for pressure. His jump was not a tired one, far from it...he jumped up to high (not the sign of a tired horse) and just knuckled on landing. He would have been a comfortable winner imo though weither he is an Arkle horse is another question.

Scotsirish made a howler around 4 out.

I thought he went down quite easily. I'm not convinced there was that much left but time will tell - it was a fair effort from out in front and Navan takes a bit of getting so no shame in it. On better ground, he's probably a decent outsider for the Arkle. I did like how he jumped.

Well what did we make of Pomme Tiepy. I thought she might be a bit vunerable today on the drier surface and with the penalty.

I was very impressed, Aidan. Getting lumps of weight again but was impressed with the way she went away from Kilcrea Castle between the last two flights. Had a lot in the tank at the line and seems to be still improving.

I know Scotsirish's connections viewed him as an Arkle prospect at the beginning of the year, but they'd be mad to send him to Cheltenham now when 2m4f on decent ground round Fairyhouse would suit him down to the ground IMO.

I hate aftertimers

They are horrible people, coming along boasting about this and that after the event when there is no discernible proof and nothing to be gained from it other than bragging

But I had 4 euro on Mutineer at 95/1 jumping the third last at Navan betting in running.

Sweet

Scotsirish will go for the Arkle and think he could run well. Will appreciate better ground as a strongly run two miles should suit him. They are open novice chases this year so he is worth a run.

I think todays run by Pommie Tiepy was far superior to her effort at Leopardstown. I think it also ensures that J'y Vole will go for the Powers Gold Cup and miss Cheltenham completely.

I liked the way they settled Pomme Tiepy in third or fourth early on ...I know she eventually went on but if they're to go for the Sun Alliance then she'll have to be able to be restrained - unlike Jy'vole who is incapable of controlling herself early doors.

Congrats Bobbyjo, and it would be a sad thing if we weren't permitted to share our unlikely triumphs when they come along :P

After all, we can't stop to post up our bets in running on TH before we make them - betting has changed for better or worse and most decisions are now made late or in running

Well done Bobbyjo-I was all over Clopf today but as an insurance I laid him at 1.06 in running which meant I won more then I would have if he had actually won.Whoever backed Clopf at 1.01 needs help.

After timing is fine BJ. If were to all list all our bets beforehand this place would be a mess.A 95/1 winner is worth celebrating you jammy little b*strad.

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Feb 17 2008, 02:27 PM
Not how I saw it, Bobbyjo. Thought he was very much on top up to that point, and I'd suggest that the fact that he threw his head in the air and had a good look about just before the flight had more to do with his departure than fatigue did.

Should be well suited by getting a lead off a stronger gallop as well, as he was fairly free early on. Still not sure he'll get up the Cheltenham hill though, especially in a race such as the Arkle, where the pace will most likely be hot.

Dark Artist, who is becoming a decent yardstick this year in novice chases (as well as a horse I am becoming increasingly fond of), puts the form into perspective.

Apologies for the aftertiming, but I need to exorcise some demons. I managed to lose money at Navan despite calling nearly every race correctly in summary (that includes looking at the handicaps and discarding them as impossible) which is infuriating.

My plans for the first were to back Clopf pre race to lay very short in running and to lay Scotsirish. A friend of mine is very friendly with the son of Scotsirish's owner and was getting very negative vibes about the horse after his Leopardstown fall. My impression at that time was that the horse would be unlikely to make Cheltenham due to repercussions of that fall. For that reason I was surprised to see him out again so quickly. In the end I laid Scotsirish for a place and backed Clopf to win but neglected to lay him back. Double disaster as Scotsirish is left third by the demise of Clopf. This isn't Arkle form by the way, as Clopf won't come up the hill and Maralan is unlikely to be near the top of the tree based on his overall profile.

I managed to go from bad to worse in the second where I liked Footy Facts and Kazal and didn't like Aitmatov; after laying the last named for a place and backing Footy Facts but bizarrely not Kazal, my head was spinning.

Handicap hurdles are a quick route to the poorhouse so I left the next alone and I couldn't bring myself to back Brave Betsy at short odds (I mean what price trouble in a 30 runner race??). Again Pomme Tiepy looked the obvious winner but was slightly too short in the novice chase and I had a decent interest in Kilcrea Castle who was the only danger on known form. I managed to lay a chunk of that off at shorter odds, but I'm still down on a race that panned out pretty much as I expected. I believe this was the race which will have most bearing on the festival with the front two looking credible challengers for the SunAlliance and National Hunt Chases respectively.

I succumbed to following a tip in the next ~ I woke to find a huskily whispered voice message on my phone telling me to get on Gold Spear in the handicap chase; the voice suggested that if I failed to "get on" I might live to regret it. I felt compelled to comply but was regretting that when the animal in question capsised at the first obstacle. Well and truly reeling at this point, I somehow managed to find the winner of the bumper but it was strictly damage limitation at that stage.

Arsebiscuits!

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 17 2008, 03:32 PM
Well what did we make of Pomme Tiepy. I thought she might be a bit vunerable today on the drier surface and with the penalty.
we saw her in thurles. I think she has more than a touch of class, very nice mare. did not see yesterdays race, but seem to have done it well; so solid result and PT is not to fault, I think.

Back