New Tattersalls bumper

Cantoris

At the Start
Following on from the Goffs Land Rover bumper, Tattersalls have their own version at Fairyhouse at the end of Arpil 2011 worth €100k. Having bought a horse at the Derby sale and previously entered horses in the Land Rover, I'm dismayed by the entry fees charged. At least for the Land Rover, there are only 600 horses eligible. For the Tatts race there are 1,000 eligible and look at the entry stages:

€400 to enter (plus €13.50 bookage fee)
€300 extra (plus €40 bookage fee) if forfeit not declared by 1st December 2010,
€200 extra (plus €40 bookage fee) if forfeit not declared by 23rd February, 2011,​
€100 extra (plus €40 bookage fee) if forfeit not declared by 21st April, 2011

If 200 enter, that's €80k straight away, 100 stay in come 1 Dec, that's another €30k, 50 stay in at Feb, that's another €10k, and the 25 declare, that's another €3k. Total receipts €123k + €10k bookage fee. So who makes the profit of €23k?? And if no profit made, they could afford to lose circa 30 horses at each stage and still break even. So are Tatts just underwritig it. At least Goffs were taking some sort of a chance with 600 horses, but 1,000 for Tatts. Hardly much risk there.

BTW, I'll be advising my syndicate not to enter as we will have €700 in the hole before we know if he's any good!!

Better off having €700 @ 14/1 in an ordinary bumper the morning the trainers rings you to say he did a sparkling gallop during the week.

Last edited:
Better off having €700 @ 14/1 in an ordinary bumper the morning the trainers rings you to say he did a sparkling gallop during the week.

I would agree with you there except my mate keeps telling me that we've had three winners in bumpers and let them go off at 20/1 (Brave Inca :o), 14/1 (Raise The Beat :rolleyes:) and a heavily backed morning gamble which none of the syndicate were on 4/1 - 2/1 (Kimberlite King :whistle:). So guess it's wishful thinking that we will get the nod at 14s next time!!

With regard to the sales race, I'd much prefer a €50k bumper and €50k novice hurdle over 2m4f the next season. but that wouldn't suit them as the entries a year later would be much lower so not self funding.

They are playing on the optimistism of owners. Chances are your horse will be no good or not ready to race. Plenty will fall for it though.

Not my best worded post. I meant in a general sense. Obviously yours is not a horse but an aeoroplane.

Seems tough over there guys with those type of entry fees,but at least youv`e got a race to aim for worth the money.:rolleyes:

Back