Newbury - £27 for this ?

stodge

At the Start
I have to say looking at today's racing I couldn't believe that Newbury were asking £27 for their Premier enclosure for what looks in truth a moderate card with small fields.

Given that the quality horses are waiting for Cheltenham, I think NH venues should be cutting admission in the month leading up to the Festival.

£10 would have been appropriate for today's offering...

Why should other NH courses suffer a drop in their revenue because Cheltenham runs a Festival, Stodge? How does that make any commercial sense for them? And if we think that prize money's poxy now, it'd be a lot poxier if revenues dropped. It mightn't have been a big turn-out, but there again, if it had been, would you consider the money well spent? The quality horses are always kept for Cheltenham, while those who aren't entered continue to provide the country with the bulk of the NH fare they've had throughout the season, and I don't see what the problem is. They ought to be rewarded for keeping betting and viewing prospects going, not penalised because they're not going to Cheltenham!

Well I have to say the cost (£30 according to Morning Line just now but including the racecard) has put Mrs DG and I off going today, if it had been £15/£20 would probably have gone.

Why should other NH courses suffer a drop in their revenue because Cheltenham runs a Festival, Stodge? How does that make any commercial sense for them? And if we think that prize money's poxy now, it'd be a lot poxier if revenues dropped. It mightn't have been a big turn-out, but there again, if it had been, would you consider the money well spent? The quality horses are always kept for Cheltenham, while those who aren't entered continue to provide the country with the bulk of the NH fare they've had throughout the season, and I don't see what the problem is. They ought to be rewarded for keeping betting and viewing prospects going, not penalised because they're not going to Cheltenham!

Jon, I disagree with almost every word you've written :)

Racecourses which decide to put on meetings in close proximity to Cheltenham either have to have a non-Cheltenham USP or have to accept that in terms of quality and possibly quantity they are going to suffer.

As commercial organisations and perhaps with a view to maximising income generated by the racecourse, they might take the not-unreasonable view that IF they cannot offer the usual quality and/or quantity yet want to attract customers they might attempt the commercial practice of offering prospective racegoers an incentive or two to attend.

As for "keeping things going" they are the ones offering to race - there was plenty of other racing on yesterday and I venture to suggest that had the meeting not occurred turnover would not have been adversely affected.

The other side of the commercial equation and the reason why this ludicrous situation is allowed to perpetuate is the money racecourses are paid by broadcasters to show races. This is commercial stupidity of the first order and perpetuates uncompetitive midweek fare at all levels.

IF we had a more sensible situation in which broadcasters could choose which races and which meetings they wanted to pay for, we would see a fundamental and commercially-positive transformation in the way racecourses operate.

At the moment, however, the betting shops in particular are governed by the adage that the more opportunities there are for punters to lose their money, the better and that's why we get SA racing, Virtual Racing etc, etc. It suits racecourses to be part of this system as they get paid no matter what drivel they put out.

Of course, more meetings means more for everyone involved from casual staff up the line and that means the poor racegoer ends up footing the bill.

It angers me that this has been allowed to happen and that no one is prepared to question it but passengers on the gravy train rarely want to get off, do they ?

Well, we can arm-wrestle this til you shout 'nuff!', Stodgerino. I've got a heavy cold (snort, snort, snuffle) and to be honest, am heading for the sofa, a cuppa, and some trash tv, so might feel up to a good go-round (again) on this subject, but couldn't do it any justice right now.

As it is, I thought the Newbury card turned out some very good jumping with some excellent finishes, and the horses were decent, too. I don't put BIG FELLA THANKS in the numpty league, for starters... but for finishers, me gwine for tea now!

Awww... thanks. Just having a pre-beddy-byes shufti: have to conserve my energy for tomorrow's fun-fest of drinkies, an 'adult' (i.e. screaming drag queens) panto, followed by dinner at a new Chinese eatery. The neat thing about leaving an area is the amount of goodbye meals it entails - my favourite indoor hobby!

£27 pre or post Cheltenham is just plain ridiculous for that day's meeting, full stop. Newbury is one of the most expensive courses and has been for the last few years. They have to realise that people can't pay and won't pay for a day's racing such as that when it is the first of a two day meeting especially. I went to cheer on a particular horse but I had access from my ROA membership. Apart from the Lockinge and Hennessy days, the ROA membership allows members to Newbury for all other meetings. I think I worked it out that the cost of the ROA membership is cheaper than an annual members badge, even allowing for not including the cost of those two days.

ROA membership is only £195, joining the Owners' Badge Scheme, now reduced to owning 50% of assorted nags is free, so of course it's a lot cheaper - provided you maintain some ownership - than most Annual Membership costs, since it allows you into all courses, although not all of the time. You won't get into Glorious Goodwood, the Cheltenham Festival, Aintree's Grand National meeting, and some other premier meetings, for example. But if you're paying for some sort of ownership, you do have to figure in those costs, which probably work out a helluva lot more than any Annual Membership!

However, all this arguing comes to nothing when you see that there was a very good turnout at Newbury, with plenty of people being prepared to pay the £27, let alone take up their even more heavily-priced hospitality offers. Top-ranked courses charge more, end of story. You can't argue that people won't pay, when quite clearly they not only will, but do!

You don't have to own, or part own, a horse in racing to join the ROA, and it will gain you entry to Newbury apart from the days of the Lockinge and the Hennessy. I was referring to Newbury and the cost of entry, not other racecourses or meetings.
I was there on Friday and I didn't consider it to be a good turn out, especially considering the weather. The major thing the lack of people semed to highlight was how loud the tannoy system was, one could hardly hear oneself think, let alone have a conversation with anyone round the front of the stand.

The volume of those bloody tannoys is absolutely commonplace at Newbury nowadays; not only that but they only pump out utter drivel. Who needs to be told that if they want to have a bet they can "go to the Tote windows or to the bookmakers, who are situated in front of the stands, next to the course"? Or that the commentator "has the best view of anyone on the course, high up in the stands"? Or a ten minute dribbling spiel about all the shite and utterly overpriced food outlets located on the course? Or a reminder (before every bloody race) that "you should really go to the paddock to have a look at the horses before you have a bet on this next race" before the aforementioned bollocks about where you can find a bookmaker [as they're so damn difficult to find]. Unfortunately this is becoming commonplace oncourse nowadays - Kempton is exactly the same with not only the same buffoon who dribbles on at Newbury all day but the added bonus of Anthony "Ican'tdrawabreathsinceitwillstopmefromhearingmyownvoiceforthreeseconds" Kemp and James "I was too shite to be the Apprentice" McQuillam. Half of these PA announcers are in competition with each other to see who can spout the most shite for longest, and the loudest! I spend most days oncourse sending people to get the tannoys turned down.

Newbury never draws a crowd on a weekday anyway and for some reason Fridays often come off the worst and tend to be empty.

British people are addicted to paying extortionate prices for things, especially admission to sporting events.

G-G, thanks but I know very well you don't have to own a horse to join the ROA! If you read my post again, but with a little more care, you will realise that. You do have to pay a current membership fee of £195. That does not get you into courses free of charge, unless you have a runner on the day at the course you are attending, when you'll get the allowance as per the course.

You have to own the now-reduced 50% (from 100%) horse ownership to join the ROA's OWNERS' BADGE SCHEME, but you do have to already be a member of the ROA in order to qualify for its limited uptake. I have worked on the Owners' desk at several courses for a decade now, so I do know the system. I am also a member of the ROA'S OBS, which means I can use my OWNERS' BADGE SCHEME card to obtain free entrance to racing where applicable.

And yes, I've also got a TBA swipe card - anyone can join that, too, for a fee, but the card's useless unless you're the breeder of a runner on the day at the course you're visiting, where you are permitted two free badges.

No course - unless it's one of their premier, multi-day 'festivals' - gets a brilliant weekday turnout, because (imagine!) thousands of racegoers are workers, and only able to attend weekend meets. If anyone wants to argue stats, they're available. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the link to them - it might be that some other forumite has it and can bung it up, so we can read the entrails, if we can be that bothered.

If you read my first post again, I was referring to NEWBURY ONLY which does allow ROA members free entry other than the two days I have stated. I didn't mention the owners' badge scheme. One does not have to be a member of the owners' badge scheme to gain free entry to NEWBURY. I am a member of both and know what the terms of membership are, thank you, and that I believe it is cheaper to be a member of the ROA, without being able to or having to join the owners badge scheme, and gain entry to NEWBURY all year, less two days, than pay annual membership for NEWBURY.
Towcester do not charge at all for meetings, apart from two days a year, and they have just as poor cards as Newbury did on Friday, but I wouldn't mind betting that their attendance figures are better then Newbury on such days.

Back