Newbury Saturday

betsmate

At the Start
Clowance - has the makings of a lovely older staying mare. Lightly raced, but some big runs under her belt. Goes well fresh, won at Newbury, may prefer cut but has won on good ground. Today's opposition, despite their number, are hardly world-beaters. @ 15/2

Habaayib - Obvious the Cheveley Park didn't go to plan, but previously was a staying on second in a 6f 2yo G2 so you would have thought this step-up could suit. Already has a G3 success to her name. @ 10/1

Bullwhip - Unproven, but race fit. Impressive on debut. Big price in 5 runner field. @ 11/1

Prefer Harbinger in the John Porter. The fact he's out so early suggests he's had a very good prep and think he'll be better for the lessser test of stamina than he faced in the St Simon here in the autumn.

Arcano is currently the sort of price that looks too good to be true, and I think he's more likely to run poorly than well today. I suspect Canford Cliffs might win today by default and end up shorter than he should be for the Guineas.

I'm not convinced she isn't flattered there as well Luke. Going nowhere turning in and plodded on as poor old Schiaparelli emptied.

Two of the hardest rides I saw last season were Clowance and Rachael Alexander -I have my doubts about either of them winning again.

Lady of the Desert had a peculier running action (front limbs moving together like a pair of table legs) until she was challenged and then a more balanced action seemed to take over but couldn't match the others for finish.

MR2

Is my memory fading or have TV camera angles changed, but my recall of the Newbury Spring Cup is a race run over a wide course. Yesterday's race seemed to funnel into a narrow finishing space. It seemed very cramped regardless of the drift across 3F out.

A very untidy race - MR2

Back