Newmarket - Saturday

gus

Journeyman
As I've mentioned on another thread, I'm off to Newmarket tomorrow and looking forward to it no end. I'm really hoping to see something special from Frankel but the rest of the card looks terrific as well.

I quite like Sole Power in the Palace House - he looks a very big price at about 10 on Betfair. I can't split Cai Shen and Ocean War in the Newmarket Stakes but I don't have to as Corals go 9/2 each of them which comes to 7/4 combined.

I'mm off there tomorrow too.

Quite like Proponent and Tiger Reins in the first. The former ran a nice race in the Spring Cup and has won here three times, reunited with Dettori, 8/1 looks a decent enough price for a horse who's in the upper echelons of ability in this field. Tiger Reins always runs a good race and whilst he's in the hands of the handicapper, I can see him sneaking a place at 25/1.

Really sweet on Jonny Mudball in the Palace House, plenty have been going on about how he'll be better over 5f and tomorrow is the time to prove it. Ran some massive races in handicaps last season and showed incredible pace. I think the filly Astrophysical Jet could be a top class sprinter but Jonny Mudball was 14/1 earlier and I'd rather be on him EW than the filly.

Commended will be a tough nut to crack in the big sprint handicap, he ran well when taking a 7f maiden at the Craven meeting in a time goood enough to take a race of this class but I'm not sure if he'll be great value, 11/2 seems ok but I wouldn't take any less. Think Breedj could run a big race at a price, ran really well in the Fred Darling when making the running over 7f and the drop back shouldn't be a problem, worry is her handicap mark has been blitzed for that but at 25s, I'd take the chance.

I'm also keen on Ocean War who won handsomly at the Craven in a smart time, 9/2 seems a decent bet to me but I think the dangers come from the Brittain horse and Namibian more than Cai Shen.

Really like Sikeeb in the last (Clive Brittain could have a good day), was impressive at Newbury in a very good time which is streets clear of this lot and I'd be getting involved at 10/3 but reckon it could get bigger as money comes for the horses from sexier yards. Think Twice Bitten could be a good EW play too at 12/1, won well at Kempton last backend and he looked an above average Kempton maiden winner.

The RP has backed up what I thought about Viva Vettori in the 2:00. Excellent record first time out, form in the race before and Buick will be on to do the steering. There'll surely be worse 20/1 shots running tomorrow that's for sure. The day will obviously be about Frankel though. Hope you both enjoy your day there.

Last edited:
In the 5f race I took 27/1 last night on Tangerine Trees, twice a good winner for me last back end. Very gutsy win on this track LTO. Does not have the obvious class of some of the others but I like front runners that fight on when challenged. A small ew involvement.

In the 5f race I took 27/1 last night on Tangerine Trees, twice a good winner for me last back end. Very gutsy win on this track LTO. Does not have the obvious class of some of the others but I like front runners that fight on when challenged. A small ew involvement.

You absolute legend.

Superb:cool:

Sweet! What a gutsy horse. Obviously Frankel's show overshadows anything else that happens there today but still TT really did everything I thought he might be able to. I've had much bigger bets but was shouting as loud as I ever have.Just as it seems he might be tiring he keeps on.

Just before the race went out to 29 and 30 from around 18's so grabbed 2score more. Had it not been for the amazing Frankel (and if my aunt had balls.......)would have a big chunk more as I went large ew on Dubawi Gold. Seal Rock finishes the ew patent.

Well done to everyone who made money yesterday! Frankel was awesome! Henry Cecil deserved all the adulation and I was thrilled for him, hope he will be champion this season. Saw him take a quiet moment before saddling up and the nerves were showing then.

These were the positives - when will Newmarket wake up to customer service ? I waited 10 minutes in one queue to get a v&t only to discover they were serving champagne, 10
minutes in another which only sold pimms and eventually found a place which served a very watery v&t!!! They need to get their act together to entice all their new customers to keep coming racing. Maybe a Pre order bar like the theatre?

A very disgruntled lochsong

As I said earlier, I had a great day on Saturday - really enjoyed myself. I don't drink at the races any more so I can't really comment on Lochsong's experience. But a couple of things rankle.

First, why are people allowed to take alcoholic drinks into the betting ring and viewing areas? Following violence at York on Magnet Cup day in 1987 - I was present (but not violent) - there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth and it was decided that drinking should be restricted to racecourse bars with everywhere else out-of-bounds. At some point, that restriction has been removed and on Saturday, for example, I had to stop watching the Jockey Club Stakes at one point to let a (perfectly polite) bloke through with a tray of pints. It's not just Newmarket - I've stopped going to Donny on Leger day, partly because they let too many in but also because people are allowed to take drink on to the viewing steps around the paddock and after a couple of races the whole area is a mass of discarded plastic glasses. As it turned out, I didn't see any bad behaviour at all on Saturday but the potential is always there where drink is taken - especially when the sun's shining - and I just don't see why they can't improve the experience for those there to see the horses and the racing by making those who want a drink stick to the bars.

My other gripe about Saturday is the music blasting out over the loudspeaker system both before and after the Guineas. What purpose does it serve? I thought I'd got a result when I arrived and realised that "Tommo" was commentating at Uttoxeter and so wouldn't be doing his Alan Partridge stream-of-consciousness thing at Newmarket but this racket was - nearly - as bad. Before the race it just attracts a puzzled and slightly embarrassed response from racegoers and afterwards it actually detracted from the spontaneous and heartfelt reception the crowd gave to Frankel and his connections.

It's not just Newmarket, of course. This is from Jacko Fanshawe's diary today:

"Incidentally James was at Warwick last night and was appalled at the fact that there was so little interest in the horse. The noise around the paddock was terrible, there was a discoteque and a band playing and even though the discoteque was stopped while the horses in the paddock there was still a huge amount of noise and nobody seemed to worry about the effect it had on the horses."

Back