NH Problems

Guest_

At the Start
This is the problem with NH racing...bar a couple of big meetings in Ireland the the Aon day, the racing has been really uninspiring.

Barely looked at any of today's cards....all about Cheltenham now.

It definitely gets quiet from mid feb onwards but at least there's always punchestown fairyhouse and aintree coming up after cheltenham...

We are entering championship season with cheltenham just sround the corner. Early Fairyhouse this season, with punchestown and Aintree nearby. What are you expecting Gal?

It happens in all sports. Look at aston villa and spurs midweek playing b teams in europe.

We are entering championship season with cheltenham just sround the corner. Early Fairyhouse this season, with punchestown and Aintree nearby. What are you expecting Gal?

It happens in all sports. Look at aston villa and spurs midweek playing b teams in europe.

Does not happen on the flat. Great meetings like Ascot are followed by quality cards at The Curragh etc.

Dont get me wrong, I love Cheltenham (by far my favourite meeting) but the NH season is completely deadened by it.

I think there is a wider problem with the calendar. Too many races for not enough good horses.

The Supreme Novices Hurdle, the Arkle, the Ballymore, the RSA Chase, the QM Champion Chase, the Champion Bumper, the Ryanair, the World Hurdle, the Gold Cup... are just some of the races where we haven't seen the top two in the market race against each other this season.

For sure it helps to make Cheltenham what it is - the championship - but I've argued before that the rest of the season is little more than glorified prep races.

It's been a long standing criticsm of mine for ages Gal in that it also tends to relegate some of the supporting races to exercise assignments or handicap manipulating races. It's one of the reasons I've been tentatively suggesting that there might be some merits in running a winter festival combining the Tingle Creek cards, with Ascots December meeting and the King George meeting to make a three day festival around Christmas.

Essentially the jumps season is all focused on Cheltenham 'plus' and some of the early exchanges can look a tad like meaningless shadow boxing. However, when the season reaches its natural climax it does provide for spectacle that is difficult to match. It also provides people like myself who've lost a bit of interest in racing, a natural chance to take a breather and re-charge as I've paid little attention from early November onwards.

It also provides people like myself who've lost a bit of interest in racing

Why?

I`m a flat man at heart but last season was awful from mid June until the Arc. At least with one mega-Festival you`re guaranteed a few days of top class action.

Back