Nostalgia for Godolphin/Ballydoyle battles ?

Ardross

Senior Jockey
I don't get this at all . Willoughby was blithering on about it in the RP yesterday . I think it is tremendously healthy that this year we have had 4 classics and not one has been won by either Godolphin or Ballydoyle . There can be few more boring periods in Flat racing history over the last 30 years than when the two battalions were totally dominant . OK there may have been some great races but it is much more exciting to have Group 1 races with new players like Bell , to have Stoute , Cecil and Cumani resurgent etc .

The big battalions have a part to play and there is little doubt that to the wider world Dettori is a big pubicity asset to racing but the days of 3 G against 5 B runners is hopefully past for good -this year's shit Leger notwithstanding

How often does he write a column? If there's nothing worth talking about I suppose he has to come up with some guff.

13-7-2-0.

Godolphins record at one particular track this season - including 4 G1 races. Godolphin are alive and kicking :)

Asked on the spot to name five such battles and I would be stumped. Galileo V Fantastic Light aside the only other one I remember was POG V Dubai Destination as a 2 yo.

The only time they got two genuine top class 3 yo to a Guines was Dubawi and Footstepsinthesand. There was no real build up to clash as it was assumed Dubawi was a lock. Had they met again that would have beena clash to savour. The battle is more abnut stallions and foals and little to do with clashes on the track. You have saved me the price of the Weekender.

Giants Causeway V Bachir is a fair shout Warbler but in fairness one will be remembered for his titanic clashes with Kalanisi and Tiznow while Bachir will hardly be remembered.

The race that never? Dubai Millenium V Montjeu? The prospect of that on the Racing Post excited me. We were a bit spoilt around those years.

Grandera V Hawk Wing was more about Hawk Wing bursting the hype bubble than a real clash.

We were a bit spoilt around those years.

Only because there was a very real prospect of that race taking place. A Goldikova/Rip Van Winkle/Delegator match-up in the QE11 would be more exciting imo because the outcome would be less predictable.

How would you bet a match between the three in the QEII. Id imagine such a clash is highily unlikly.

How often does he write a column? If there's nothing worth talking about I suppose he has to come up with some guff.

That's just it. These guys have to come up with something on a regular basis... it's difficult being original and pertinent all of the time. On the whole they must thank their lucky stars for Willoughby, several of the news writers on the paper would struggle on a non-racing national and several struggle anyway... I'm always struck that so few seem to have any real grasp or judgement of horse racing... still most are paid ludicrously small amounts for what they do.

Ramonti v Excellent Art provided a couple of intriguing clashes, but it was the horses and the tactics that made for the thrill, not the colours their jockeys wore.

Giants Causeway V Bachir is a fair shout Warbler but in fairness one will be remembered for his titanic clashes with Kalanisi and Tiznow while Bachir will hardly be remembered.

I remember bachir for the great ride Dettori gave him in the Irish Guineas

Back to original point, I entirely agree. The greater the spread of quality, the better it is for the sport. Races with 5 ballydoyles and 5 Godlophins in a 12 runner field are not something anyone should wish for

Back