Notes from Sandown 10/9

stodge

At the Start
I attended this afternoon's meeting on the Esher slopes and very pleasant it was too if a trifle breezy. Instead of the in-depth review, I'll offer a few notes of my own.

The opening juvenile maiden over five furlongs looked a moderate heat and was dominated by the market leaders SUPERCHARGED and CARRIGNAVAR. The former looked light to me in the paddock and while she ran well, I think we may have seen the best of her for now. CARRIGNAVAR looked a more resolute type and ran on strongly in the final furlong. He could pick up a small nursery.

The juvenile maiden over a mile was the afternoon's most interesting heat but one or two tallish reputations got well and truly squashed. GENERAL SYNOD was never going that well and didn't get home in the final 100 yards while ARC LIGHT was disappointing as his previous run suggested he would be. SHOOTING GALLERY did it well and relished every yard of the mile and looked a really nice middle-distance type for next year.

The one that went into the Stodgebook, however, was UMEX RENOIR, a Nayef colt out of an Acatenango mare. He got behind early but was staying on really well up the hill and looks a really interesting type for next year, especially for staying races.

The Class 3 handicap went to GIVE THE EVIDENCE who stepped up from a win in a Nottingham maiden to score in what was warmish company. JULIENAS is a really tough sort - prominent throughout, he was headed but rallied and was only just done in the final 50 yards. He looks a really nice handicapper in the making. A word also for SPACE WAR who was last on the home turn but stayed on well for fourth and looks to be going the right way.

DHAAMER won the Class 4 handicap over a mile and a quarter beating a field of mostly exposed handicappers. This was only his third run and he still looked to be learning but is another on an upward path.

Back