Now, that's a flashy new green van

montyracing2

At the Start
Just passed Dr RDP Newlands bright green van on the M6 going northwards at Preston, circa 13:30.

Spotted the van many miles away, very bright.....

MR2

Might have a small interest but given the visual shock it can't be called a 'dark horse', someone must know why such a colour was preferred and do we have Silver Adonis to thank?
MR2

That piece of advice reminded me of another time when the world seemed an exciting place.

Every summer my Grandad used to take me to Haydock races. I was surprised the first time we went , in 1976, because as the coach pulled to a stop in that vast car-park my Grandad leapt out of his seat and clearly in a rush to be first off. Shouting ‘catch up’ he hurried towards the line of horse boxes.

The second time we went I was ready and leapt out with him, thinking he must have a contact among the racing fraternity and quite probably someone interesting. He did!

He ran to the corner where he bought a Racing Post and enquired of the seller ‘was anything special running?’

Later, I asked him why did he rush to speak with someone who would be there all day - only to be told that he knew and valued the information he got from this particular RP hawker but that if there was a queue the answer was always ‘No’.

I’ve not been to Haydock in many years so I don’t know if there is still a RP seller on the corner between the coach park and main entrance, if anyone is going let me know if there is.

MR2

Can't wait to spot it now! Sounds like it might be a neon green, which would be a bit much at 5.00 a.m. for the poor box driver!

Rory, you're right. 34 years on memory fades, I think it was the Sporting Chronicle.

That was the racing paper my Grandad enjoyed reading.

Maybe tell you all about my Grandad sometime. Very dark horse, gained little respect from within the family but a natural artist and some of the adventures he would relate on our racing and greyhound trips were very amusing.

MR2

I think that would be nice hearing about your Gramps, mr2, as it would about any interesting family members forumites might have. Especially their racing stories, or how they might've got some of us connected to racing (dogs and/or horses) to begin with.

Back