Now this really is a joke

Shadow Leader

At the Start
I loved seeing this article appear on the RP website - hysterical!
Ascot delighted with

crowd behaviour

Lee Mottershead

ASCOT officials yesterday expressed their delight that the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes fixture passed off without any reported crowd trouble.

Sandown's Coral-Eclipse Stakes card and Newmarket's July Cup day were both marred by ugly alcohol-fuelled fights, but Ascot bucked that trend, just as it had during the royal meeting.

Ascot spokesman Nick Smith, who revealed that the King George day crowd was 1,002 up on last year, at 26,179, said: "There was no crowd trouble at all, which is really good news. The site here is so huge that even on a hot day temperatures don't get frayed, so happily there were no problems at all."

On both Friday and Saturday, in the stands to the left of us were a group of upwards of a dozen tanked up lads, shouting, screaming and generally making an utter nuisance of themselves for the duration. I'm pretty sure it was the same group of lads - and yesterday they were all pissed as parrots before the first race!

Then, just before the last race, I had a fit when one of my colleagues drew my attention to the fact that a young lad was having a leak, in the stands, up the side of our pitch. Then, on asking him what the hell he was doing and telling him he can't just whack it out anywhere and have a a slash, one of his mates responded with a "f*ck you!!". Nice. So much for excellent behaviour! (yes, the track knew about the latter incident since a colleague did go and get an official to let him know about it. I was all for getting one of the coppers that was passing below in the ring at the time to let them sort it out but one of my colleagues didn't like the idea)

Last edited:
I too thought that article was weird. Congratulating ourselves that racegoers didn't act like scumbags. Isn't that our expectation?

They say 'more tomorrow' in the article so eMail your letter before you miss the chance.

Ah, hadn't thought of that! Mind you, they don't like to publish letters or emails which criticise their reporting so I can't see that it would be published.

Mind you, I did get a text printed last week when I pointed out that there was hardly a bet struck in the ring at Kempton for the harness racing, when a report of theirs claimed it was a big hit with punters.

I agree with you too about congratulations when no fights break out. What next - pats on the back all round that noone has been murdered this week??

I thought that was you when I saw the name of the texter.

Wasn't it something like 'Bewildered from Berkshire'?

I think I used Bemused, Berkshire.

I heard that Ladbrokes took I think it was £40 oncourse in total on that race! There were only 4 pitches taking bets on the event - Ladbrokes, Hills and two in the ring. There were two price changes in the whole set of shows which tells a story of its own!

I doubt very much that much has been taken on the racing they have shown today on ATR from Dundalk.
Only those who will bet on anything will have had a bet on that surely?

I doubt very much that much has been taken on the racing they have shown today on ATR from Dundalk.
Only those who will bet on anything will have had a bet on that surely?

I was cringing for the poor old nags they really belt the arse off them don't they :eek:

When they don't publish the form and nobody knows anything about the horses they might as well hold a local jump off and price that up.

Pointless exercise in PR from Kempton Park and the BHRA are hardly the most open and forward thinking equine organisation in the UK.

When they don't publish the form and nobody knows anything about the horses they might as well hold a local jump off and price that up.

Pointless exercise in PR from Kempton Park and the BHRA are hardly the most open and forward thinking equine organisation in the UK.

Totally agree on all points, IS.

I'd include the top trotting events from Europe like the D'Amerique and Elitlopp, as well as the big Arab raceday at Newbury the other day - where was the form in the RP? Racing journalists are a bone idle shower, aren't they?

Where was the form in the RP? Racing journalists are a bone idle shower, aren't they?

Form has absolutely nothing to do with journalists though, has it? The cards are produced by Racing Pages and the RP don't have any input; the issue lies primarily with bookmakers who ask for the serice to be included. Doubtless the firms were delighted by the overrounds on the Dundalk card ~ I noticed that the book on the 5:30 came to 198% in a ten runner race. Unfortunately for the moronic supporters of this betting shop fodder, 50% of feck all is still feck all.

In fairness to the RP I doubt even the BHRA have any form for the events - you can get a shoddy racecard at Tir Prince or Corbiewood printed on bits of paper and I'm sure the Elitlop would be easier to sort out form for and the D'Amerique etc.

The big Arab raceday would have been good - ATR/SS do a good job of covering those races in Dubai so why not get the form in the Post for Newbury :)

Form has absolutely nothing to do with journalists though, has it? The cards are produced by Racing Pages and the RP don't have any input; the issue lies primarily with bookmakers who ask for the serice to be included. Doubtless the firms were delighted by the overrounds on the Dundalk card ~ I noticed that the book on the 5:30 came to 198% in a ten runner race. Unfortunately for the moronic supporters of this betting shop fodder, 50% of feck all is still feck all.

Rory, let me try to understand. You are asserting that the Racing Post has no editorial control over what it prints?

IS, I'm not too bothered about UK harness racing - it's basically no better than flapping - but the other events mentioned should be covered, if only to bring some variety.

IS - the Arab racecard for Newbury was included in the RP, it was covered by RUK and there were SPs returned.

As for the form itself, as you say regarding the BHRA I'd doubt there is much arab form compliled that could be included anyway. The information provided via the insert for racecards containing the runners for the stand alone arab races run on cards under rules is sparse at best and I think that is produced by ARO!

....and for the purposes of this discussion, no, I don't think that harness racing or arab racing should be covered. Can punters not find enough to spunk their cash on in the first place without adding these events in which the majority of people aren't interested anyway? Don't forget how many people have to become involved in staging these extra add-ons and will have to work longer and longer hours if you want it covered on TV and prices returned - as if there isn't enough racing already!

Ven,

the content of the RP Betting Shop Display is primarily governed by the interests of those bookmakers who pay for the service, although it is edited by RP staff. The cards for French, South African, US, Virtual and now Harness racing are produced and edited by a company called Racing Pages and then supplied to the RP for printing. As a product for betting shop coverage, it's true to say that the Post have no editorial control over this. You will never see coverage of the Elitlopp on the High Street as bookmakers would need to pay a premium for it.

Ven,

the content of the RP Betting Shop Display is primarily governed by the interests of those bookmakers who pay for the service, although it is edited by RP staff. The cards for French, South African, US, Virtual and now Harness racing are produced and edited by a company called Racing Pages and then supplied to the RP for printing. As a product for betting shop coverage, it's true to say that the Post have no editorial control over this. You will never see coverage of the Elitlopp on the High Street as bookmakers would need to pay a premium for it.

That's depressing news, Rory.

Back