O'Brien to set new world record

Warbler

At the Start
2003 Boby Frankel recorded 25 group 1 wins in a season to set a world record. Nothing short of a virus or catastrophic loss of form seems likely to stop him now, especially with the 2yo races coming into play

Sounds like an assignment for Galileo. Illuminate the sky with the "bat device", send for Aiden:). I'm guessing it will come down to how many French races he decides to take in? Bear in mind that Ballydoyle don't do sprinters, but if he's got a few decent 2yo's you'd have to think there could be about 5 wins to come from that quarter, and he might be tempted to look for a couple of international assignments. You've got to think there's about 5 in Ireland for him. The juddmonte and Leger look obvious targets as does the Irish Champion. 6 group 1's on the Arc card? I'd be surprised if he comes away empty handed. Peeping Fawn could be an interesting one in any attack on the record, but I'd be surprised if it isn't starting to play at the back of even Aiden's mind

Last edited:
He will surely have a lot of runners also for the Breeders Cup. Theres also Arlington Million day with Mount Nelson and Plan going out, Canadian International, the late year G1s in Italy and then there is Japan and Hong Kong etc. AOB mentioned last year that he would like to have a runner in the Cox plate and then there is the Melbourne Cup which is a G1 handicap but some of Frankles G1s were also handicaps.

Would US Ranger not be considered a possible - for Haydock at least.

Yeah possibly, but only as a runner surely? I don't think he's shown anything to suggest you'd factor him as a win prospect when trying to work out where Aiden's going to find his dozen or so winners from

The problem with sprints (as has been well documented) is that you can pull up formlines for just about every runner that makes them a credible candidate. 2 Listed wins from 9 pattern races and nothing in Group company wouldn't mark him out as a likely winner, but he's got close enough for you to consider him a possible though. I suspect it might hinge on how many French races he's going to take in, as he'll continue to farm the Irish and English pattern I'd have thought and reckon that there must be about 8 decent shouts with the 2yo season just getting underway.

Well Warlbler, if US Ranger was to win a GP1 sprint this year, I would have thought his best chance would have been at Haydock. I didnt think he'd win anyway, but his performance in Newmarket led me to believe that the young O'Brien fella knows one or two things about this racing business, and far from the idea that each sprinter has their day in the GP1, I think he is one of the more likely candidates.

I am becoming a little concerned for Aiden O'Brien.

Too many interviews perhaps, but he seems to have adopted the 'phrase' "listen now" or "now listen" and uses it in just about every answer he gives.

Some sort of 'compulsive disorder' perhaps?

Germany has one in Cologne mid-august (he can send yesterdays pacemaker or Honolulu, or both), the Grosser Preis von Baden (7th of september, send Yeats), and the Grosser Preis von Europa end of September - all 1m4f races and he surely will find something in some back stable to send!

No Group 1s left in Italy ??

25 looks to small a number now !

Last edited:
Back