Off To Kentucky?

Guest_

At the Start
Weld and O'Brien may speak positively of it, but very unlikely they'll have a serious Kentucky Derby contender at that time of year.​

Press Association Sport

KEMPTON has announced a race in March that guarantees the winner a place in the Kentucky Derby.

The 1m1f Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes, to be run on March 18 and worth £80,000, carries a £100,000 bonus for the winner if they go on to compete in the Triple Crown event at Churchill Downs in May.

The race, for three-year-olds only, is a mark-up of an existing conditions race, and received praise and the promise of support from leading trainers.

Dermot Weld, who has had much success in the States said: "It's a great initiative created by Churchill Downs and Kempton Park.

"If I were to have the right horse for the job, I would most definitely target the race as a qualifyier ahead of the Run for the Roses."

Aidan O'Brien said: "I think it's a great idea and hopefully we'll have runners in it."

John Gosden also welcomed the race, which has been designed to overcome the problems European-trained horses have in trying to qualify for the Kentucky Derby.

The 20 starting berths have previously been allocated to those with the highest Graded or Group stakes earnings worldwide.

Amy Starkey, managing director of Kempton, said: "Kempton Park is delighted to be in partnership with Churchill Downs.

"The establishment of the Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes represents a fantastic opportunity to increase the international profile of Kempton, as well as promoting the Kentucky Derby to European-based owners and trainers."

Back