Old Romney - 3.45 Lingfield

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Kept my eye on this all day when the horse was around 5/1 in the morning yet the horse could only be sold at a mark of 6 on the spreads on Sporting Index. There was a small on drift and exchange drift but nothing untoward, the spread market however was obscene.

In the race, the horse then started slowly and was out like a light when they turned for home and soon eased right down.

Surely to god the BHA has to investigate things like this as much as they investigate Betfair drifters? Sporting Index and co. must co-operate with the BHA like Betfair do?

I think it's unfair to say the BHA aren't necessarily interested, but there is nothing they can do if bookmakers continue to hide behind the client confidentiality clause.

Regarding the horse, I noticed he was heavily bandaged in front today, can't say I've noticed that before, whilst he has also had a history of problems. Add in the fact that he's been below form on every start for this yard (which I wouldn't consider as able as the Wigham yard) and that he'd been off another three and a half months since his latest start and I think he was priced up today on the Fallon factor rather than his realistic chance.

Agree that he was probably falsely priced but someone clearly sold the horse to the hilt with Sporting early on this morning else he wouldn't have been that price. Seems very strange.

You could basically back the horse at 6/1 on the spreads when it was 5/1 and get all the places for free too.

I see he touched a low of 7-2 in running.Last winter I really got stuck into the all weather with a fair degree of success but every so often you just know that someone knows more then you do.

I'd imagine a comment in running of "Slowly away, held up in rear, travelling well when eased 2f out" would be fairly close to the mark.

I must have been watching a different race because the horse was held up, but seemed to get outpaced when the pace finally lifted 4f out. Fallon was pumping away with 3f to go and was only 2 behind it when turning very wide in and inside the final furlong with only 4 behind him Fallon accepted the issue.

The horse was sold out of Wigham's yard to Howling not long ago and when he was it was for peanuts (I know this because I was offered the horse for 2k when I was expanding my racing club) and by all accounts had been regressing for some time. Howling is putting up Fallon on plenty at present and there is no way the horse on its recent form should have ever been 5/1. Take that into consideration that very few horses win on the all weather with an absence of over 60 days and wide draws over any trips are no no's. It's not exactly rocket science why anyone would oppose it.

Last edited:
The opposition on the spreads was the equivalent to him drifting from about 5s out to about 14s on the exchanges.

Someone somewhere knew the horse was going to finish well beat because it wouldn't have come in so much on the spreads market. It's very strange that the opposition took place all on the selling on the spreads and not heavily on Betfair. I defy anyone to find a favourite in a race at that price on Sporting Index.

The horse was sold out of Wigham's yard to Howling

Well..... :ninja:

Heard a rumour that a small punter had an unsually large bet on the spreads, selling for £250 a point instead of his usual two quid.

Back